General Barchetta speedometer units

Currently reading:
General Barchetta speedometer units

brianpoole

Read recently that the two different types of speedometer units were not interchange/swappable. There was no reason given why this wasn't possible.
The only two differences that are obvious is the white box and a missing connection that the pencil is pointing too. All three electrical connectors fit.
Thanks for any comments. I do know that the yellow air bag bulbs are missing.
Brian
20230804_110828.jpg

An intersting observation. I'll try to make some time to look in more detail later but from what I can tell that missing connector is for the 'Injector system failure warning light' or 'Fuel reserve warning light'. I may have read the diagrams wrongly so I will check again.
Hi Chris and Brian,
My 1998 B has the lower panel layout as above. I have marked my 3 connector banks - both panel plus connectors - as A, B and C as per the official Fiat wiring diagram. I have recently had several intermittent failures of my mileometer and speedometer and this week hope I have finally fixed the problem with a thorough connector wash with acetone, both male and female parts. All working OK today!
I have one question:- my additional resistor as shown in the second photo running N-S slightly to the left of centre, looks rather "worn" and I might consider replacement if my failures continue. However, can anyone point me to a detailed wiring diagram and/or set of dismantle/repair instructions for the whole panel? I only have the large scale Fiat wiring diagram.
No reply neccessarily expected.
Geoff.

Hi Chris and Brian,
My 1998 B has the lower panel layout as above. I have marked my 3 connector banks - both panel plus connectors - as A, B and C as per the official Fiat wiring diagram. I have recently had several intermittent failures of my mileometer and speedometer and this week hope I have finally fixed the problem with a thorough connector wash with acetone, both male and female parts. All working OK today!
I have one question:- my additional resistor as shown in the second photo running N-S slightly to the left of centre, looks rather "worn" and I might consider replacement if my failures continue. However, can anyone point me to a detailed wiring diagram and/or set of dismantle/repair instructions for the whole panel? I only have the large scale Fiat wiring diagram.
No reply neccessarily expected.
Geoff.
Promising news on the speedo. Mine is either 100% fast, 10% fast or non-operational and I must take a look at it.

There are a few diagrams spread throughout the service manual showing the instrument panel but I can't see any that show the component. Are you sure it's a resistor and not a diode? Following the traces through on Brian's image it looks like it goes to the battery charging lamp but I'm not 100% sure. If you could follow the traces it is soldered to back to the connectors it might help identifying it?

I did look in ePer and there are many different part numbers for the instrument panel. For most 'generations' there is a GB/Ireland version (with MPH I would imagine), a Japanese version (they seem to have a catalytic converter warning light) as well as presumably the standard European versions. For each of those versions thre is an ABS and non-ABS version. I don't know if yours have part numbers on.

There seem to be four specific generations of panel, pre May 98, pre- May 99 when the ABS sensors changed, pre 2000 when the ECE F3 engine type change happened and then to the end of the life of the car.
Looking at the service manual there are some indications of what changed in the various versions. For instance, in the 2000 updates there is a module for displaying the fuel reserve that isn't in the earlier diagrams. These could be genuine changes or just omitted from earlier diagrams.

All interesting stuff I suppose

• Thanks
Reactions: tjr

Instrument cluster​

In addition to the fuel and temperature displays, the instrument cluster on the right houses various control lamps. Over time, these have been adapted to new circumstances and regulations. In addition to the appearance, the technology behind it has also changed somewhat. As a result, there are more spare part numbers than you might think at first glance. Basically, however, the following applies: They are not interchangeable! The fact that everything works one hundred percent is only certain with the same number.

Thanks Chris for the Lexicon article, above is part of the translation and it confirms that they are not interchangeable as I thought. The two spare clusters that I have also have the differing set of warning/control lights shown in the Lexicon article.
Understanding that we should beware in the future when buying used clusters that they should actually match the units we have already.

Reactions: tjr
Back