Technical Speedo not working

Currently reading:
Technical Speedo not working

I have a 2001 Barchetta, the speedo and mileometer have stopped working.
This would suggest the speedo sensor on top of the gearbox? I think I have located it after taking out the battery and tray, but it's right at the back of the engine, and pretty difficult even to get a hand on, let alone remove it! any tips?
Are all speedo sensors the same, or are there older and newer ones?
thanks

There's a zillion of threads about this, one can be found on the very start page of barchetta forum.
No, it's not the speed sensor. I know because I replaced it, when I was young and stupid )

There's a zillion of threads about this, one can be found on the very start page of barchetta forum.
No, it's not the speed sensor. I know because I replaced it, when I was young and stupid )

I think I've read through the zillion threads .. I can't weed out the right one for me .. give me a clue ...

edit: the mileometer has stopped working as well

Last edited:
It's the dashboard, just slap the damn thing hard... chances are it will start working.
Then you can think on resoldering joints inside, or buying a second-hand instrument cluster.

or buying a second-hand instrument cluster.

Sorry ,if it comes down to this , I have a complete set of working instruments removed from my 1997 car and I am also in Surrey .

I have had interest for the instruments from 2 other members here , whoever presses ££££ into my hand first gets them .

Showing 134988 miles .:)

Sorry ,if it comes down to this , I have a complete set of working instruments removed from my 1997 car and I am also in Surrey .

I have had interest for the instruments from 2 other members here , whoever presses ££££ into my hand first gets them .

Showing 134988 miles .:)

is it in mph or kph? (I think I messaged you about a sensor)

is it in mph or kph? (I think I messaged you about a sensor)

Hi.....the speedo and mileometer both read in miles .

I had the same problem as you when I first got the car in 2012 and DTR replaced the whole instrument set twice before I got one that worked correctly.

It's also why there are about 19000 miles missing from the total displayed.

I haven't received a message from you ...yet.

I could have a go at removing my sensor this weekend and post a pic of it to see if it is the same as yours but Wapper is probably right that it's usually the instruments themselves as they are regularly mentioned to be faulty on here .

The OP says his speedo and mileometer have stopped working. On mine, only the speedo packs in, intermittently, and it's usually cured by the tap on the dashboard. The mileometer is unaffected. I'd always assumed that the mileometer was mechanical (old school, me!), but presuambly it also gets its feed from the sensor, and is also subject to the soldered connections behind the instrument panel cracking?

Cos I'm not the best internettist , I don't know how to attach pics to messages , so here is my speedo sensor removed from the car , wasn't too difficult , but it's always easier to undo stuff rather than tighten them up because you are looking at it from underneath .

Hope it's the same as yours .

Also found a car alarm that I didn't know I had , never had any remotes or anything but no one ever tried to steal it anyway , as far as I know .

Attachments

• DSC09166.JPG
    DSC09166.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 54
  • DSC09167.JPG
    DSC09167.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC09168.JPG
    DSC09168.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC09169.JPG
    DSC09169.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 51
My speedometer sensor is the same has Barchetta Bloke. these sensor were used up to chassis number 37640 part number 46403099 and are difficult to find. the second generation sensor part number 46466696 are readily available.
I've hit the dash etc, changed the speedometer twice for supposedly known good ones, re soldered as written about regularly to one unit. replaced the sensor without any improvement. leaves me to now believe (next job) that the part just inside of the gearbox as broken and will require long nose pliers to remove the lower broken part.

That VIN , according to the list here occurred in mid 1998 , so in theory won't be any good for the 2001 car

Yes 15/5/98 and then replaced again by part 46817374 on 15/10/2001.

My ignorance may show here but, as far as I can see, no other parts were changed as part of that modification so is there a reason why newer ones won't work?

Simple solution, get a speedometer app for your phone!
Or buy a GPS-based speedo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HRYTKYX/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_C9NTA32CF67QBA6S06GF
Definitely not an endorsement of that particular model, it was just the first hit on Amazon. I'm planning on building my own so that I can create a bespoke case for it that sits somewhere nicely in the B. My speedo works reliably but inaccurately if that makes sense, reading consistently about 15% fast which is a pain for my aged brain to calculate.

Nice toy, but when my speedo goes awol, I practice my mental arithmetic by working out my speed from the rev counter.

(Only works in 5th, mind, as my feeble brain can't cope with remembering the gearing in any of the other gears, and in 5th its easy, as 1000 rpm = 20.1 mph :D)

Last edited:
My speedometer sensor is the same has Barchetta Bloke. these sensor were used up to chassis number 37640 part number 46403099 and are difficult to find. the second generation sensor part number 46466696 are readily available.
I've hit the dash etc, changed the speedometer twice for supposedly known good ones, re soldered as written about regularly to one unit. replaced the sensor without any improvement. leaves me to now believe (next job) that the part just inside of the gearbox as broken and will require long nose pliers to remove the lower broken part.
my chassis number is 52xxx so this is the one I want I think.
this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254974671196?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=254974671196&targetid=1279076612809&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006491&poi=&campaignid=12125450855&mkgroupid=123088734215&rlsatarget=pla-1279076612809&abcId=9300480&merchantid=137673821&gclid=CjwKCAjwuIWHBhBDEiwACXQYsfEdcNb9oP-GkgSlqg7y7pS0kZ7pKS35bs7kZwO-KMAPc61S40LEbBoCl1MQAvD_BwE

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back