Technical Speedo shows 70km/h actual speed 50km/h

Currently reading:
Technical Speedo shows 70km/h actual speed 50km/h

DimitriL

My speedometer shows speed well above what my actual speed is, is there a way that this can be adjusted? Stock car, haven't done any work on gearbox or anything. When the speedo shows 70km/h I am actually doing 50km/h
thanks

Sounds like my brand new panda.... Its doing 60 mph when the speedo shows 70mph.

I know its possible to get the speedo recalibrated and re-set but I believe not economically viable and very difficult to find a place to do it. The over reading is probably built in to all of these though this does sound a bit much. A new or newer instrument is probably a better option.

Hi Dimitri,

I've opened up speedometers in the past and re-positioned the needle to 'correct' the reading. There's usually a little tension on the needle shaft hairspring when the needle is at zero.

If you want to try this, I'd suggest (going by the figures you've given) that, having opened up the speedo sufficiently to get at the needle, you rotate it to 70 km/h and either hold the needle shaft below the needle using mini-needle nose pliers or hold the drum behind the gauge face (i.e. the plate that has the speed numbers on it) while at this speed reading, then pull off the needle and refit it to align with say 55 km/h mark. It might be a good idea to just connect the still-opened-up speedo to the speedo cable and take the car for a run to check your adjustment before re-assembling the speedometer. The reason I suggest 55 km/h is that Fiat speedo's afaik always overread, the faster you go the more optimistically they read - if you set it to be exactly correct at 50km/h, it may under-read at lower speeds which may result in a fine for speeding in lower speed zones e.g. in town.

Note :- Sometimes the needle hairspring mounting position can be adjusted (like on a watch), should this be the case on your speedo, try this adjustment before re-positioning the speedo needle.

Another thing to check for is that no oil/grease has gotten into the speedo from e.g. over-lubeing the speedo cable, this can upset speedo readings also.

There are some U.K. companies who can re-calibrate speedometers etc., they often advertise at the back of the British classic car magazines.(Idk about in Greece)

Be gentle with the speedo innards!

P.S. To:- 'The Panda Nut', I doubt the above technique (bodge :) ) can be used on modern speedometers which are electronic afaik?

Al.

Last edited:
Hi Dimitri,

I've opened up speedometers in the past and re-positioned the needle to 'correct' the reading. There's usually a little tension on the needle shaft hairspring when the needle is at zero.

If you want to try this, I'd suggest (going by the figures you've given) that, having opened up the speedo sufficiently to get at the needle, you rotate it to 70 km/h and either hold the needle shaft below the needle using mini-needle nose pliers or hold the drum behind the gauge face (i.e. the plate that has the speed numbers on it) while at this speed reading, then pull off the needle and refit it to align with say 55 km/h mark. It might be a good idea to just connect the still-opened-up speedo to the speedo cable and take the car for a run to check your adjustment before re-assembling the speedometer. The reason I suggest 55 km/h is that Fiat speedo's afaik always overread, the faster you go the more optimistically they read - if you set it to be exactly correct at 50km/h, it may under-read at lower speeds which may result in a fine for speeding in lower speed zones e.g. in town.

Note :- Sometimes the needle hairspring mounting position can be adjusted (like on a watch), should this be the case on your speedo, try this adjustment before re-positioning the speedo needle.

Another thing to check for is that no oil/grease has gotten into the speedo from e.g. over-lubeing the speedo cable, this can upset speedo readings also.

There are some U.K. companies who can re-calibrate speedometers etc., they often advertise at the back of the British classic car magazines.(Idk about in Greece)

Be gentle with the speedo innards!

P.S. To:- 'The Panda Nut', I doubt the above technique (bodge :) ) can be used on modern speedometers which are electronic afaik?

Al.

Thank you Al. this is a very viable option! Thank you. I will open the speedo up and do as you said. Thank you for this tip!

Alternatively......
Cut 3 small dart shapes from (post it notes) paper, write on 30, 40, 50 mph (or 50,65,80kph); take car out for a drive with a sat nav and attach the three pointers onto the glass face at the three speeds!
A possible fudge but quick, simple, non damaging and easily reversible....

Back