General speedo reading

Currently reading:
General speedo reading

shyster

Was using a tomtom which i bought yesterday and if you compare the speed with the speedo on the car and the speed on the sat nav, my car is doing 5mph more than the sat nav speed, i always thought that my speedo was reading a bit to high. Anyone else exp this?

Was using a tomtom which i bought yesterday and if you compare the speed with the speedo on the car and the speed on the sat nav, my car is doing 5mph more than the sat nav speed, i always thought that my speedo was reading a bit to high. Anyone else exp this?

yep its normal to be fair - my roadangel is about 3 - 5 miles below my speedo, and the gap between get larger as the speed gets higher so its more a % than a fixed amount difference.

Are you sure you have that the right way round? I'd be seriously worried when passing any speed camera if that's the case and your speedo is that far under as they are meant to be showing slightly over the true speed and not the other way around i.e speedo showing 30mph but you're doing really 28mph

5mph over is perilously close to ticket time at speed cameras

Last edited:
Yes I thought the same as decks here and if you go onto one of the calculators on line it will give you the speed your car is doing with say 17" wheels instead of the 15" standard ones..what size wheels and tyres are you using on the stilo..?

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

Last edited:
Hi
I get the same thing with my Garmin I don’t think the sat nav’s are that accurate and I tend to believe the Speedo.
In fact when I drive down to Spain I turn off the speed camera audio warning because it drives me mad, I stick to the Speedo so far I haven’t had a ticket.
Good luck

Back