Technical Speedo/Mileometer Equally Inaccurate?

Currently reading:
Technical Speedo/Mileometer Equally Inaccurate?

ytareh

Established member
Common sense would suggest so ...but does anyone actually know if this is true.I once drove at an indicated 60mph for a minute on a motorway and using the mile markers (not sure how accurate they are in Ireland!!!!) did NOT cover a mile....Anyone?

easiest way to check your speedo is sit next a truck on a motorway as they are limited to 60mph and see what your speedo says as trucks are callibrated due to the tachograph on them recording everything, thats why there is no diff on straights on mototrways between trucks, but the more powerful ones/lighter loads painfully pull out and overtake on the hills frustrating every other driver!

All speedos over-read. They are not allowed to under-read by law. My Punto tends over-read about 3mph but it slightly worse at higher speeds. Doing 90 is really 84, doing 70mph is really 67mph. I know this because my TomTom tells me :) I reckon that the GPS is a fairly accurate measure not current speed.

HardBoiledEgg said:
All speedos over-read. They are not allowed to under-read by law. My Punto tends over-read about 3mph but it slightly worse at higher speeds. Doing 90 is really 84, doing 70mph is really 67mph. I know this because my TomTom tells me :) I reckon that the GPS is a fairly accurate measure not current speed.

thats cause its a % thing, not a numbers thing.... if u know wat i mean.

it is said that the cento ones overread by about 10% so you have to take that into account

Back