Technical Speedo cable, easy to replace?

Currently reading:
Technical Speedo cable, easy to replace?

Timm

How easy is it to replace a speedo cable on a Mk2 Uno45 Fire?

Mine just suddenly stopped working but the Haynes manual seems to only cover the Mk1 version.

And is there a cheap place to get one?

Its probably just come off.

What normally happens is the cable comes off the back of the instument cluster. Just pull the cluster out (2 hex screws on either side of it) and push the big white clip back on (Its pretty obvious how to do it when you see it). Sometimes it helps to pull it off and put it back on again making sure the square end goes into the speedo correctly.

Some people like to make the most of this oportunity to remove the middle part of the cable, clean and grease it. This is a good idea as it extends the life of the cable and makes it work better.

It may also have come off the back of the gearbox. Look at the back of the geabox on the passenger side and see if the cable is attached properly.

Thanks for that, I found it!
It has indeed come off the back of the instrument panel.
When I get five minutes i'll have a go at putting it back on.

Bugger, a problem.

The cable has come off but the white plug thing it is clamped to has broken, I presume these are available at Fiat dealers but do they have a name? Or should I just show them ?

Pic below

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

It's supposed to be part of the cable so I think you'll be best off trying to obtain a complete cable from a wrecker's.

I have the same problem with my X1/9's cable... which is much harder to change than an Uno cable (for a start, there are two parts, and it runs through the centre tunnel) and there aren't any spares around. So, I've cobbled it together with hot-glue and a crimped-on metal sleeve. My speedometer fluctuates wildly (0-80km/h) at speeds less than 30km/hr but is smooth after that.

-Alex

Looks like you may need a new cable after all, since that white plastic bit is crimped on.

They aren't too hard to fit. To remove the old one you will need to undo it from the gearbox and then push it through the firewall (it uses an interesting grommet that's in two pieces; you pull off the outer hard plastic part then push the rest through into the car). Once the whole cable is through you just need to pull it out of the cluster whole. One possible problem is that the cable may be zip tied in place, if this is the case and you don’t care about this cable, you can simply cut the cable in half and pull it out both ways :devil: (remove the inner part first since it could be useful in the future).

Refitting is the reversal of removal. You feed it in from through the cluster whole, then get it to go over the heater (which can be frustrating, but there is plenty of room for it to feed through so it shouldn’t be too difficult), then push it through the whole and reassemble the grommet (two people are handy here so that when you put the outer plastic bit back on you don’t push the grommet back into the car) then reattach to everything.

Even with a new cable it’s probably a good idea to grease the cable before assembly.

Back