Speaker not fitting

Currently reading:
Speaker not fitting

sunny2539

Hi.. just bought some speakers. 6.5"..
When i fitted them in my car. the holes on the door panel are like 0.5cm too big . any ideas on what i can do??

H2DaE

Resident Hairdresser
What speakers are they? If they have 4 mounting holes you may have to drill a couple of holes to get them to fit. Or did you mean they don't go far enough back into the speaker hole?

H2DaE

Resident Hairdresser
So the problem is that there are only 3 holes on the door and 4 holes on the speaker? If thats the case, then you just need to make more holes so that it fits.

OP
OP
sunny2539

sunny2539

yea.. well 4 on the speaker and 3 holes in the door.. BUTTT .. the door ones are about 0.5cm bigger

CinquePunto

^^^Joker
I have some mounting brackets for my JBL GTO's that I dont need, they convert 3 hole to 4 hole...

i thought what he meant is the diameter of the speaker and ring is 0.5cm too small...

H2DaE

Resident Hairdresser
So the holes in the door are 1/2 a cm wider than the holes in the speaker? What kind of screws are in them :eek: Got any pics to help me see exactly what is up? :)

OP
OP
sunny2539

sunny2539

got no pics.. will put some up tommorow
cinq was right.. 17cm in door. speakers are 16.5cm

H2DaE

Resident Hairdresser
the 16.5cm Infinity coaxials i had in there fitted ok, i just had to make a few more holes using the speaker as a template and it fitted perfectly (y)

OP
OP
sunny2539

sunny2539

is there any wires behind the speaker slot in the door, i dont want to drill into them

OP
OP
sunny2539

sunny2539

the velcro holdin my sub doesnt move a inch.. if i pik the sub up.. the whole carpet comes up with it. STRONG!

H2DaE

Resident Hairdresser
Wouldn't suggest using velcro dude lol. The plastic is pretty soft so you could just make a hole (using the speaker itself as a template, screw one screw in and push it back while you do it) with a bradawl and you're sorted. Thats what I did, just be careful not to slip, and I would suggest getting someone else to hold the speaker in place so you can use one hand to push and the other to hold the bradawl steady (y)