Styling Speaker cover mod, was bored

Currently reading:
Styling Speaker cover mod, was bored

CaneyJ

Clubcento Member
With my soon-to-be uprated speakers, with the protruding tweeter I thought having the speakers plainly exposed looked a bit too ghetto and also opened up being a target for thieving pikey scum, so having some spare time I fabricated some MDF spacers and much test fitting, sanding, painting and lacquering later here is the result.

speakercovers2sq.jpg

No offence mate but :yuck:

You ain't seriously gunna put them in your car are you? (n)

Steve

Steve-0 said:
No offence mate but :yuck:

You ain't seriously gunna put them in your car are you? (n)

Steve

I would save it by wrapping them in some acoustic carpet or something.

Agree not the nicest thing ive seen.

Had you thought of spacing the speaker backward into the cavity (using washers or something) rather than spacing the grill outward.

I did this with my sei grilles. see below. I had to put spacer bolts in between the grill and the basket of the speaker to space them back enough to cover the tweeter.

Attachments

• DSCN0584.JPG
    DSCN0584.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0591.JPG
    DSCN0591.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Slippy said:
I would save it by wrapping them in some acoustic carpet or something.

Agree not the nicest thing ive seen.

Had you thought of spacing the speaker backward into the cavity (using washers or something) rather than spacing the grill outward.

I did this with my sei grilles. see below. I had to put spacer bolts in between the grill and the basket of the speaker to space them back enough to cover the tweeter.

You know speakers need to be tightly sealed to front baffle, not to leave a gap like yours. Try to fit a rubber ring or something to seal them. You'll get midbass, which now i'm sure you lack.

The finish is not quite as good as I hoped as I only had hand tools and they might cause a slight funnelling effect but I can pick up some new grills off a scrapped cento when I get some proper flush front components.
I'll be fitting dynamat behind the speaker and in front as a gasket so it should hopefully be ok. The speakers themselves are http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=3142&cadid=2ab056df6a5c8c6af511df205716a6d2 which will do for this year.
The main purpose of them was to stop people seeing I had expensive (therefore nickable) speakers and also to give them protection of I bumped them.

Last edited:
Asteris said:
You know speakers need to be tightly sealed to front baffle, not to leave a gap like yours. Try to fit a rubber ring or something to seal them. You'll get midbass, which now i'm sure you lack.

Um... no. I'm sure on large speakers what your saying is more that true. I've got a roll off filter on these which cuts in at 258Hz anyway so don't really want bass from them. Their only 4"!!

Sealing them with a rubber seal will make sod all difference i assure you.

But thanks anyway/

i encountered the same problem before but your solution is much nicer then the grilles fiat made for speakers with big tweeters!

I think as long as the speakers are solidly mounted, you'll be OK (y)

Slippy said:
Um... no. I'm sure on large speakers what your saying is more that true. I've got a roll off filter on these which cuts in at 258Hz anyway so don't really want bass from them. Their only 4"!!

Sealing them with a rubber seal will make sod all difference i assure you.

But thanks anyway/

I assure you that sound cancellation also occures above 300Hz and up to 3-4KHz. Find a way to seal them and you'll see the difference.

I also have mine HPF at 300 Hz from the amplifier. And I remember one time when i careless passed over a speedtrap bump and the left speaker sound level dropped in half. After checking all wires and connections on the CD and amp, I removed the speaker itself, only to find it was dislocated and left a gap between the grill. When i fixed it back, sound level restored.

If you don't believe it makes a difference, go find a Cinq, unscrew the front speakers and listen to the difference by yourself, once the speaker is moved 1cm out, midbass is lost...

I'm not too keen on them for two reasons

1. They are now black and the Cinq dash is grey.

2. The paint finish like you mentioned isn't great.

Liam

Finally got round to fitting them; they'll do as speaker protection until I go ahead later with a decent component install in the doors.
Then the front speakers will be replaced with tweeters and some new flat grills from a scrappy.
installed4in.jpg

CaneyJ said:
Finally got round to fitting them; they'll do as speaker protection until I go ahead later with a decent component install in the doors.
Then the front speakers will be replaced with tweeters and some new flat grills from a scrappy.
installed4in.jpg
What speakers are those?! they look like mine!!

lauren xxxx

Back