Technical Speaker change question

Currently reading:
Technical Speaker change question

ForeverWhite

Hello

I've had my fiat bravo for a few months now and loved it. I'm now looking at modifying it and improving it. The first thing I decided to do was change the speakers in the car, I'm a total noob when it comes to electricals so will be getting a garage to do it.

I have already taken it to one garage and they told me the car would need pods to be able to mount the speaker and allow the window to be wound down, is there anyway around this ? Has anyone installed speakers themselves ?

Would just like some info for getting some new speakers installed

Thanks

Hi bro.. I changed my 4 speaker for my bravo.. My garage also share the problem of speaker problem like yours initially.. They told me the window will hit against the speaker if I install the speakers and I was given 2 option.. First was getting a adaptor moulded to offset the speaker out more.. 2nd option which I chose was getting speaker with thinner magnetic coil, no problem so far.. Hope it helps.. /cheers..

Thanks zxaw. Which speakers did you go with in the end? I was advised by my audio dealer to look at the Pioneer TS-A171CI (w/e they are) at £90.

As the TS-A17xxx comes with separate tweeters, have you considered replacing the originals too?

Last question, this adapter, pod. I understand what it is, but as no one refers the the 'new bravo', I'm not sure I'm buying the correct part for my model.

Thanks for any knowledge you've gained.

If you're looking at improving the sound quality in your car then replacing only the speakers will achieve almost nothing.

If you're a newbie to this subject I suggest you check a tutorial on the basics of ICE, if you have questions I'll be glad to help.

Concerning adapter rings, most professional don't buy the plastic ones, they cut their own rings from MDF material which is the best for sound quality as well as cheaper :

rings.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks tad and wegi./ Both are good suggestions. I'm all for the sound improvement on a budget, but I'm concerned about damaging the original door panel if I don't use a purpose formed adapter ring. I'll try taking the speaker out tomorrow, maybe I can still use MDF.

If a pair of £90 speakers wont help with the bass, then possibly its not worth the effort, let alone the cost. But I really want to keep the car looking standard. That includes the head unit. With no outputs from the back of the head unit, my thoughts were merely to replace the components.

I'll have a read in the ICE section and come back loaded with questions.

Have you tried changing the headunit. This makes a big difference the speakers they sound alright with a bit more power. This is what I have done and will soon be amping standard speakers with 50rms.

I'd suggest the HU upgrade as well.
I put in an XNV-L66 and the difference in sound was very noticeable. Speakers went louder and bass was sharper. Gone back to the old HU now as well so not just my ailing memory playing tricks on me!

Hello

I've had my fiat bravo for a few months now and loved it. I'm now looking at modifying it and improving it. The first thing I decided to do was change the speakers in the car, I'm a total noob when it comes to electricals so will be getting a garage to do it.

I have already taken it to one garage and they told me the car would need pods to be able to mount the speaker and allow the window to be wound down, is there anyway around this ? Has anyone installed speakers themselves ?

Would just like some info for getting some new speakers installed

Thanks

are you playing low quality mp3?

have you adjusted the levels?

I'd suggest the HU upgrade as well.
I put in an XNV-L66 and the difference in sound was very noticeable. Speakers went louder and bass was sharper. Gone back to the old HU now as well so not just my ailing memory playing tricks on me!

Why did you change back to the original HU?

The bravo has a great sound system. Its better than a lot of cars I've been in including our new merc.

Low quality MP3s mess it up but thats the same what ever system you have.

if you want to keep it stock looking I would just leave it stock as don't see it been cost effective with cost of install, parts and declaring mods to insurance.

But its your car :)

A lot of the advice posted here are ok, but none of them would do a significant difference on their own.

There are many steps in improving a car's audio system, the first one is to replace the front speakers and amp them.

The second step is to add a subwoofer (at least 10").

The third step is replace the headunit with something that will give a little more settings for all that new equipement.

The last step is sound deadening by applying dynamat like material to the doors, bootlid and boot floor.

Basically, there's no use in changing the speakers or the HU if you're not going to use amplifiers, that's the most important part of the setup.

if you want to keep the origional head unit you can get an RCA out adaptor off ebay which you splice into the existing speaker out wires in the back of the HU so you can add a sub but make sure you research how to remove your HU before you go in guns blazing as i found out the retaining pins snap into place and you have to get a hammer and a long screwdriver to break them off so you can pull it out!!

If it's more bass your after get a sub woofer in the boot. I have standard speakers and head unit, in the boot out of sight is a 1200 watt sub connected to a 750watt amp, sounds amazing. I have my bass settings set very low on my head unit so the speakers aren't straining, the bass comes from the sub. With the bass set low on the head unit the sound from the speakers is sharp and crystal clear, the sub adds to give a very 'rich' sound. It's also cheaper than replacing speakers and cutting into your doors.(y)

Back