Some questions about audio installation

Currently reading:
Some questions about audio installation

EmberDrachen

Audio newbie here, but basically I'm looking to ungrade my head unit and install an active sub, and probably some rear speakers on the parcel shelf.

Firstly some basic details about what I currently have, and what I am looking to buy. I own a Seicento Sporting so space is obviously an issue, but I'm not looking for an insane system so I'm thinking of purchasing a slim sub I can put under the passenger seat. The current head unit doesn't have an RCA output so I'm going to get a new one which does.

The questions I have are:
How easy is the installation of a new head unit, and getting the wires into it through the car?

Does the sub connect directly to the battery or? Where does the neutral end of the cable go, and does it affect performance of other in-car electricals or have the possibility to drain the battery?

Hopefully I don't seem like too much of an idiot. :D

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Installing a new stereo in a Seicento is a very simple job, the only complication is making sure it switches off with the ignition, but there is a very helpful Guide on here to show you a way around that :)

Yes, the subwoofer's amplifier will need to be connected to the battery. I personally earther mine back to the battery, but you can earth it to the chassis anywhere really. The power wire for the amplifier is the only one that you'll need to feed through from the engine bay and you'll find a rubber grommet behind the pedals, which is just beneath the battery on the engine side. Poke a hole through with a small knife or a drill and feed your cable through - done! :)

Ah is that the one where you use one of the electric window switches? I guess I'll need to do this or the sub's amp will eat the power. It doesn't sound like too complex a job to wire all this up and I'm quite looking forward to it :D Time to order myself some parts.

Aye, seems pretty simple after looking at it some more, discovered the guide section too haha. Ah well, now I just gotta wait for the stuff to arrive.

Back