Technical Soft Top on 2010 Fiat 500

Currently reading:
Technical Soft Top on 2010 Fiat 500

IvyAmy

My soft top does not fully close. It stops about 15” from full closure. Would this be a wiring problem. Thank you

I believe its more likely to be a mechanical problems. Some more knowledgeable people will be a long in a minute but I do remember there use to be a repair kit to fix issues with the runners and mechanical parts of the roof if this were to happen.

Before you do anything else run the roof initialisation (if you haven't already). There are no sensors to tell the roof control module where the roof is and it needs to learn the limits of travel again if the battery has been disconnected or something.
FIAT 500C Softtop Initialisation.jpg

I believe its more likely to be a mechanical problems. Some more knowledgeable people will be a long in a minute but I do remember there use to be a repair kit to fix issues with the runners and mechanical parts of the roof if this were to happen.
Before you do anything else run the roof initialisation (if you haven't already). There are no sensors to tell the roof control module where the roof is and it needs to learn the limits of travel again if the battery has been disconnected or something.View attachment 424858
I tried this and when the pressed the down button, the roof went completely down. When I pressed the up button the roof stopped half way up and I had to take my finger off the button and press again. No luck, but thank you so much for your advice.

I don't have a 500C but I do have a Golf Cabriolet and have driven countless soft tops in the past. My dad had a Volvo C70 at one point and in the family fleet at the moment one brother has an Audi A5 cabriolet another has a Porsche Boxster. In every soft top or convertible car there is always some way to manually close an open roof in an emergency. I presume the 500C is the same. Is there an instruction for this in the manual??

I'd maybe close it manually and then attempt the relearn? also if you can't manually close it, then it does suggest there is a mechanical issue.

@IvyAmy I took a quick look into this.

I want you to go check out this guys little collection of videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/@caligulahorse/videos

He had what looks like a similar problem to you, the last videos really shows you the problem but the other videos show you how he got there, it looks like a simple case of some locating pins popping out of runners and then the roof won't close all the way.

This could be your problem or it may not, but its a simple looking fix and I dread to think what a garage would charge you for fault finding this or may even tell you it needs a new roof.

I tried this and when the pressed the down button, the roof went completely down. When I pressed the up button the roof stopped half way up and I had to take my finger off the button and press again. No luck, but thank you so much for your advice.
Disconnect the battery for a while then reconnect and try again. Make sure to hold the buttons in firmly.

As Andy suggests there is a manual option; in the boot you'll find a nut (underneath the top shelf) which you can turn with the wheelbrace or, better, a ratchet and socket to open or close the roof.

If there's a mechanical fault such as a broken runner I'd expect the roof to skew to one side. Listen for any grinding noises or clunks when it stops. A dry lubricant spray along the tracks may help too.

@IvyAmy I took a quick look into this.

I want you to go check out this guys little collection of videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/@caligulahorse/videos

He had what looks like a similar problem to you, the last videos really shows you the problem but the other videos show you how he got there, it looks like a simple case of some locating pins popping out of runners and then the roof won't close all the way.

This could be your problem or it may not, but its a simple looking fix and I dread to think what a garage would charge you for fault finding this or may even tell you it needs a new roof.
Thank u so much. I will certainly check this out Andy. Again, thank you

Back