General Snapped spark plug

Currently reading:
General Snapped spark plug

jammydodger87

Hi, well my spark plugs were getting a change; first three, no problem, last one...snapped as trying to loosen it out:cry:
I was just wondering if I am going to have to get a new engine, or if it is at all possible to get the bit stuck in, out? If so, any ideas how much a garage will charge? Thanks

If it's only the ceramic that's broken you should be able to get it out with a suitable socket no problem.

can you get a picture of where the spark plug has snapped? would help to analyse your situation.

Lenny
I shall try and get a pic tomorrow, in daylight...
the bit that is stuck in the hole still is the entire threaded bit...if that helps?

I shall try and get a pic tomorrow, in daylight...
the bit that is stuck in the hole still is the entire threaded bit...if that helps?

What about the hex part? Is that still intact?

How the hell did you manage to break it there?

You may be able to drill it out/cut a slot in it but if you had to put THAT much effort into it I'm wondering whether the plug has cross threaded in the head - that'll mean it would probably be easier and cheaper to just get a new head compared to getting the existing head helicoiled etc.

You may be able to drill it out/cut a slot in it but if you had to put THAT much effort into it I'm wondering whether the plug has cross threaded in the head.

I have no idea...it was really quite tough to get out, a this silly old man, ex mechanic/next door neighbour of where I was doing it, said no it'll be fine, and therefore went for it, and snap, it went...
Anyone want Cinq, with slight running problem, bargain at £500, haha

You may be able to drill it out/cut a slot in it but if you had to put THAT much effort into it I'm wondering whether the plug has cross threaded in the head - that'll mean it would probably be easier and cheaper to just get a new head compared to getting the existing head helicoiled etc.

:yeahthat: although you could take it somewhere and have it removed and the hole helicoiled at the same time as having the head skimmed, your local motorfactors should be able to point you in the right direction, and if you buy the head gasket kit from them at the same time you might even be able to wangle a discount! ;)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Blinkin' flip! Relax fellas.

If the plug snapped just leaving the threaded portion in the hole, then that's noting you did wrong. Normally the ceramic bit breaks off (if you twist the socket away from dead vertical) which leaves the hex' bit in there, which you can still get a socket on.

Anyway, all you need to do it take the head off and get the remains drilled out. There's these things called "easy outs" that screw into a stuck bolt anti-clockwise and act like a big corkscrew. Any decent mechanic will have some.

At worst, the thread won't shift or the head will be damamged during removal but I don't see why it should be. You can repair any damage to the head with a helicoil insert but frankly if you had to go to all the trouble of dismantling it, you may as well fit a replacement.

However... if you get lucky, someone may be able to get an Easy-Out into the plug without lifting the head. It's a nuisance.. but not toooooo bad.

Ralf S.

Back