Panda Smells like a bus!

Currently reading:
Panda Smells like a bus!

nickhugill

Hello,

I've just aquired a 2009 Panda 1.2 Dynamic. Love the car and it runs really well but I have noticed the air coming into the cabin smells like an old bus. Where is the intake for the cabin air located and the routing of any ducting/pipework. It appears that the cabin air is being drawn directly from the engine compartment which can't be right.

Regards.
Nick

The cabin air should be below the windscreen, out of the way of water and turbulent air.

Are you sure you're not smelling exhaust coming in via the ventilator in the boot?

Check the air box and breather pipes are all connected. If not you will surely get this issue.

On our car the nipple on the air box that the small pipe pushes on to, and the back mount were broken and the breather disconnected its self.

I got some special glue for black plastic that works MAGIC and fixed both the breaks and its been fine since.

Oily gas from the breather fouls the engine just benath the air intake above it and causes the stink.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome Nick:)
I hope you can enjoy your car once you get rid of the smell...

does the 1.2 Dynamic have a Pollen filter?
My 2004 1.2 Dynamic with air-con has a pollen filter, which is conveniently* mounted behind pedals and steering column. Cover is held by two equally convenient 5.5mm bolts.

Attachments

• pollen filter.jpg
    pollen filter.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Mine has duckbills that just sit in the holes but still allow water to collect during heavy rain. At least they are easy to lift and release the water. I don't get any engine smells.
A full and overflowing air intake will drop water int the letter soaking the car floor and carpet. That will soon smell.
A car with duckbills missing could smell of engine fumes but crankcase fumes should be fed back into the air intake. Check the engine breather pipes are good and replace as necessary.
Leaks from the gear shift seals on top of the gearbox make the car smell of oil and cat wee. It's an easy enough job just call Shop 4 Parts for a seal kit.

Last edited:
Back