General Small problem with my 54 reg punto active!

Currently reading:
General Small problem with my 54 reg punto active!

karlos85

I have a new problem with my car now, although this one is seemingly less worrying than the last. Basically when I am driving along the passenger light (by this I mean the light that comes on when the doors are opened) and the door open light on my dashboard flash on and off. There doesnt seem to be a pattern, it just happens randomly. I have checked that all doors are shut, there doesnt seem to be a problem there :confused:. I recently had another problem which miraculously fixed itself and this then started soon after. Here are the symptoms of my old problem...

- Car doesnt start from cold almost all of the time unless I give it about 2000-3000 revs and then it reluctantly ticks over.
- Once I have left it ticking over for a couple of minutes if I put in the clutch the engine stays on, but AS SOON as I shift gear towards reverse the engine cuts out! On the second or 3rd attempt of doing this it is possible to stop the car from cutting out by revving really high and lifting the clutch very slowly to creep backwards.
- Once idling the engine lets me shift into 1st no problems, and I can coast away, after that there are seldom any further problems. However on occasion the engine will cut out when I shift into 1st.
- Approximately 50% of the time the power steering takes around a minute to kick in - when this happens ALL of the warning lights are on but as soon as the steering kicks in they cut out.
- Once the engine is fairly warm the symptoms completely dissapear...stopping at traffic lights is no problem, going round roundabouts etc...I quite often do 2 hour journeys after having the ignition problems!

Just to make it clear I no longer have the ignition problems, just the problem with the flashing light!! Could it be a bad earth? I'm almost sure thats what the old problem was so there is a chance this could be connected, right?? Any help/suggestions are very welcome!!! Thanks again. :slayer:

Back