Technical Slow Rear Windscreen washer

Currently reading:
Technical Slow Rear Windscreen washer

maniacbravo

As the title suggest, my rear washer works but its lazy as hell, it spray water but only about 5cm above the washer, no where close to covering the whole height of the windscreen(not even half).

Now I've taken the boot apart and removed the motor assembly to check all the connections and pipes and everything seems to be connected as its suppose to, I also cleaned the nozzles with a needle, a toothbrush and sprayed compressed air trough the pipe to clean any debris, still the same story though.

Any help is appreciated :)
Regards,
maniacbravo

Clogged anti-return valve? Pop the lid open, clean it and push the lid back.
I had to do this to the one under bonnet as there was some clear plastic/crystal stuck in there.

Is it the small nozzle type thingy just before the pipe attaching to the rear motor? And for the front, is it inside the y-splitter? Im totally lost on this one and i cant find anything online

Update, found the front and rear non-return valves, cleaned both thourghly mainly using compressed air to remove the gunk insidem, the front one seems to be ok as both washers are spraying equally now, the rear one is fine too, it was clean when I opened it.

Then removed the valve completely to check how the pressure is on both ends, the part from the valve to the rear washer seems to be completely clean, passed compressed air through the pipe and spray the remaining water in the pipe to the roof, so I guess its clear :). but when I operated the pump with the anti return valve removed to check the pressure between the pump and the valve, the water is literally dripping from it, so its either a kinked pipe somewhere between the pump and the valve or one side of the pump is clogged, it is in a way too awkward position for me to remove and clean.

When you run low on washer fluid, just grab the pump and lift, twist it a little back and forth.
Unplug the hose and then try compressed air with the rear hose/valve detached (dont want to clog the nozzle if there is something.

If it is clear, measure the voltage across the pump while it is connected, stalk has switching contacts for the pump, no relays.

Already did that, checked all pipes and valves and nothing seems clogged, the problem seems to be one of the outlets on the pump, when I removed the white pipe and operated the pump, the water is just dripping from the outlet, no noticeable pressure. Tomorrow I will take out the pump and see what I can clean, if I cant clean it I'll just get another pump and I'll change the valves too as I suspect one of them is still leaking backwards.

Problem solved, took out the pump and gave it a good clean and everything is working as it is suppose to now.

Two questions have risen though, where can I get new anti-return valves? I couldnt find any locally and neither on ebay as I suspect they are both leaking a bit as the water is taking a bit of time to spray water.

Also is the pump suppose to have a minor leak from the rear pump outlet when the front one is operated, I can notice some water spraying from the rear wiper when the front one is operated, not vice versa though. Is it normal or should I just get another pump?

Non-return valves should be easily and cheaply available from Fiat dealers.

I will be looking at my Bravo rear wash-wipe now... the wiper seems a bit slow or erratic, and the washer does not spray. I redid the pipe connection at the wiper a couple of years ago (there was a guide on the Forum) so hopefully the problem is something simple again.

I just fixed (with my garage) a problem with my Tipo's washers... the power from the pump was really pathetic after I checked all the pipes, valves and jets. It was swapped for a new one and now it sprays fine.

But my mechanic told me something interesting... the pump has 2 electrical connections and a little paddle wheel that spins one way for front jets, and reverses for rear jets. The geometry of the pump means that only one pipe gets water, depending on which way the motor spins. I had to reverse the wires in my connector because the new pump worked in reverse....

So check the pipe connections to the pump one more time, if it still leaks or doesn't run great then swap the pump...

Works fine now, all it needed was a good clean, there was a lot of gunk in the pipes and tank, took out the pump, and cleaned the tank. Ran the pump outside the car with clean water to clean the paths in both directions, both spray fine now. Then ran compressed air through the piping to clear the nozzles and any clogging.

The front non return valves, are working as they should now after a good clean, the rear one got replaced with one from an aquarium shop.

The (minor) problem I am having right now is when I start the car, some water trickles from the rear washer, not a big deal but I hate it if I just had cleaned my car. I still need to test it again thought as today I found it was leaking from the non-return valve as the pipes are a bit old and not as tight as they were from new, a bit of plumbers tape and cable ties should do the trick

Back