Slow BT internet. What to do?

Currently reading:
Slow BT internet. What to do?

I'm currently on BT, and after coming back from being away from my house for a month, the internet is really slow. Been checking it on speedtest.net and I keep getting 0.25mbps download speed, when I used to get around 2.5-3mbps.

Now what's the procedure for ringing up BT and trying to get it sorted? Never done anything like this before so i was hoping someone could give me some insight.

Before anyone says anything, let me just say that it's a secure router so nobody is hijacking it, yes I tested the download speed whilst my computer was the only one connected to the network, and no I can't change from BT because I live in a terrible area where nobody else can provide me with internet.

Thanks

Unplug the router and the cable from the BT box too. Wait 10 15 minutes and reconnect every thing, making sure you give all the connectors a bit of a jiggle as you reinsert them(helps move any oxide on the pins so they connect better) then try testing again 3 times.

If there's no change and its still slow call BT.

I can only sympathise.
BT have no proper customer care. I had appalling telephone and internet service so I bought a mobile dongle, it worked out a bit dearer but was so much faster and always connected so I told BT to shove their poxy telephone service.

I have Sky's free internet. Its supplied by BT for Sky.

1283324732.png

Not bad considering its a wireless connection and I'm in my garage at the moment. (I know, strange place to be at this time of night but I cant sleep so I'm messing ... :))

Last edited:
Unplug the router and the cable from the BT box too. Wait 10 15 minutes and reconnect every thing, making sure you give all the connectors a bit of a jiggle as you reinsert them(helps move any oxide on the pins so they connect better) then try testing again 3 times.

If there's no change and its still slow call BT.

I meant to say I'd done this as well in my disclaimer bit, I might try leaving it unplugged overnight tonight. But it looks like I'm calling BT.

I can only sympathise.
BT have no proper customer care. I had appalling telephone and internet service so I bought a mobile dongle, it worked out a bit dearer but was so much faster and always connected so I told BT to shove their poxy telephone service.

Tbh they were good to me when I first set up, I was on a mobile dongle before but I kept going over the limit so had to upgrade. I'll see how they are when I ring up to complain.

Sky were the worst to me, the previous tenant of the house I'm living in now had left his internet set up, which would have been great, but I didn't know the password (username and password needed when you plug a modem into a socket). I was also unable to cancel the line as I wasn't the owner of it and I had no idea who they were. Eventually they took £100 of my money and told me they'd be putting in a new line, only to have nothing happen after 2 weeks so I rang them and asked what was happening and they said "We can't put in a new line who told you that? What do you mean you paid £100??" :bang: But anyway after many shouting matches over the phone I got my money back but no internet, and my only other choice was BT in this ****ty area I live in.. /rant

i agree with throwing it out the window :D

try testing a wired connection and see if there is a huge difference narrows done the problem a bit if wired is a lot better, it will be a bit better but no huge difference

Ring up BT and see if they are doing any maintenence work on the line

you should have a troubleshoot system set up on your comp which at the end gives you the numbers to ring

BT have been very good to me by the way from phonecalls to home visits by workers

Last edited:
I contacted a mate (who I don't see that often), He is old school & did his apprenticeship before BT screwed things up. He's the guy who can delve right into the workings and do a proper repair rather than simply plug new units in to see if that makes a difference !
Anyhoo, he had a look and said it isn't the line, it's the box at the end of the road, the hardware installed is known to have faults.
He wrote down the info I needed to tell BT (but I wasn't allowed to tell them how I knew) - BT reckoned they knew not what I was talking about. I talked with a few neighbours who also admitted they were having similar problems. We all shouted for joy when cable finally made an appearance.
BT only serve a handfull of houses down here now - and they are all the elderly who seem to feel they have some sort of committment.
The annoying thing is, we have so little choice. NTL/cable/Virgin own the fibreoptic line & won't let anyone else use it. BT own the other line & allow other providers to rent space - but if their equipment is faulty, people are stuck. So the choice we have is Virgin broadband, faulty BT line or mobile dongle.

I'll try the troubleshooting thing when I get in tonight, and ring them as well.
I'll let everyone know how it goes

If you can get ADSL with BT, you can get ADSL with anyone (Tesco, Plus.net, Zen, etc). Of course, the issue now is you're most likely tied into a contract with BT.

You'd think so, but I remember ringing up talktalk and one other (forgotten who) and they said 'no we can't provide in that area, do you want me to check who the listed providers are for that area?' which were BT and Sky..
However yes I am now in a contract

The local exchange has to have equipment to allow other providers to use the lines. If BT have not upgraded you cant use another provider.

Down In Wales I'm with Virgin and its pretty good. We consistently get 8Gig down and 1 gig up. At home in Staffiord its O2 for line calls and internet (BT in the background). We get about 3Gig which will double when they go to ADSL2.

Ring up BT and see if they are doing any maintenence work on the line

you should have a troubleshoot system set up on your comp which at the end gives you the numbers to ring

BT have been very good to me by the way from phonecalls to home visits by workers

Theres a online service check that pinpoints faults in your area....apparently, despite me (amd everyone else in the surrounding area) telling them at least 5 times daily where the fault was for nearly 2 weeks but hey they know best:tosser:

Still we received £1.26 compensation:rolleyes:

Any time I have dealt with customer services they have knowingly redirected my call to an empty office, cut me off, lied about services/charges/contracts (who do we believe if they tell you to ignore the last customer advisor!) yet when you ask them for a copy of these conversations (recordings) they strangely don't have them. I caught out BT so many times it became laughable however I have always found the servicemen (those actually doing the job) honest and hard working.

I miss Woolworths but certainly wouldn't miss BT.

Back