Technical Slightly concerning suspension/ steering issue

Currently reading:
Technical Slightly concerning suspension/ steering issue

ChalkyAz

Hi Guys,
Hope you can help.
A couple of people have spotted something in my engine bay that they have shown concern about. I actually don't know what the name of the parts are so i'll post a couple of photos...

20170916_141123.jpg

20170916_141116.jpg

They seem to think that there should be nuts holding them in and i've notcied they move about quite a bit daily.

Sorry to sound thick but i know very little about the steering etc

Not sure if it's related but if i brake heavily (i.e when someone decides to drop anchor on the motorway) the car snakes quite a bit. It also does this when the car comes on the power around 3500rpm+

Cheers in advance :)

They are your the top of your suspension shock absorbers... they have nuts on them and need to be tight.

They should not move about and they are dangerous like that.

I suggest you get an allen key that will fit it in the top when you take the cover off the thread.

Use a ring spanner to tighten the nut... make sure the metal disc (mountig plate) is bang in the middle and give the car a good bounce on each corner to ensure they are sat properly and tight.

Use allen key in conjunction with ring spanner or thread will spin and too much spinning can damage the rod in the shock.

Perfectly normal. The mounts are offset to the rear so won't be central, there may be some movement when the car is jacked up and the weight off it but it will be fine when the car is on it's wheels. Don't let keyboard mechanics frighten you!

I wouldnt say im a keyboard mechanic at all - if that's what your implying... the top mounts will be angled yes... but to make them sit flush and snug... that setup in them pics looks loose... but hey i have never worked on that model... I'm just posting experiences with my own setup as i have overhauled it all...

Apologies if that was not a reference to my post...

The suspension top mount, which is underneath the inner wing is only held in place by the weight of the car. It is shaped to fir the oval hole, and should place the strut tops towards the rear.
The disc on top is just to stop them falling out when the car goes over crests and the suspension extends and drops. On bigger yumps they may thump a bit, but should not fall far enough to come completely out, so will sit back in as the car sits back down.

From the pics it looks like the right one may be further forward than the left. The left one looks OK. This might be the angle of the pic, but could alternatively be worn mounts, or an incorrectly fitted one.

Have a search in the Punto section, or the guides section for more details. The top mount has a pip, that I think points towards the back of the car, and it is important to align the whole suspension strut, spring and mount when fitting these. If one if wrong, squirming under braking is likely.

Incorrect wheel alignment can also cause squirming.
Also check that no spring coils are broken and that both springs are properly seated.

Brilliant guys,
Thank you for your replies.

I've had a bit of work done on the suspension within the last year one of the jobs was for springs on the driver's side as it was banging over speed humps. I'll get the wheel alignment checked tomorrow and I'll see if I can get the suspension checked over properly.

Thank you again :)

Perfectly normal. The mounts are offset to the rear so won't be central, there may be some movement when the car is jacked up and the weight off it but it will be fine when the car is on it's wheels. Don't let keyboard mechanics frighten you!

No way is that left top mount normal. The top mount (called a "pad" by Fiat) mount has failed. It's a bonded rubber part. The top of the strut is moving around and affecting the suspension geometry and steering.
OP has symptoms that fit this failure.

Robert G8RPI.

No way is that left top mount normal. The top mount (called a "pad" by Fiat) mount has failed. It's a bonded rubber part. The top of the strut is moving around and affecting the suspension geometry and steering.
OP has symptoms that fit this failure.

Robert G8RPI.
The left hand is very wrong and needs to be looked into straight away .
Cannot see the right hand side very clearly but should be checked too for safety.

Back