Technical Mk2b 1.4 Sporting - Stiff suspension issue

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2b 1.4 Sporting - Stiff suspension issue

drofinpunto

Hi there Fellas,

I have a suspension related question awaiting to be answered.

In a nutshell: I’ve switched my 1.4 Sporting’s stiff suspension to regular/soft suspension components, but the general ride quality remained stiff and harsh.

I have two 188 Puntos as of now. One with 5 doors from 2002 (mk2a 1.2 8v Dynamic) and one with 3 doors from 2003 (mk2b 1.4 16v Sporting).

The latter (being a Sporting) had a stiffer factory setting with a slightly lowered (15mm) suspension and a bumpier ride quality. Recently, I’ve started to feel „old” for that experience and wanted to switch the suspension to a softer setup. Just as like as on my 5 door Dynamic.
Therefore I bought 4 new regular/soft springs and 4 new regular/soft dampers thinking that replacing them would solve the issue.
I've purchased the suspsension set with caution, I bought the ones „suitable for regular suspension vehicles” just to be on the safe side regarding softness.

Back in the days I’ve owned a 2003 mk2a 3 door HLX (yepp, third one in the game) thus I have a general idea about regular/soft 3 door suspension, I am definitely not chasing ghosts.

Well, I’ve replaced the whole lot (4 shocks with 4 springs) on my Sporting and the result is not what I’ve expected.

The car has gained 15mm of ride height and a minimal level of softness was achieved. But that’s it, the general stiffness and bumpy ride quality has remained. Almost like nothing has been changed suspensionwise.

I thought the factory size rims/tyres (185/55R15 alloys) are being the culprits. But I was wrong. I did put the Sporting wheels on my 1.2 Dynamic 5 door just to see what happens when they are paired with the standard/soft suspension. And nothing has changed really, the 5 door’s soft ride quality remained the same even with the low-profile tyres on. So I ruled out the rims/tyres as culprits.

As the new springs gave the car the expected ride height gain they cannot be factory lowered Sporting ones. So the springs were also ruled out as the source of the issue.

The only thing I can think of is the shocks/dampers being the factory stiff Sporting ones (the parts dealer must have messed up the order, I guess).
As far as I know stiff dampers mixed with soft springs result in a stiff ride. Am I right?

Any ideas or insights would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Sporting.jpg
    Sporting.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 195
  • Dynamic.jpg
    Dynamic.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 48
  • HLX.jpg
    HLX.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • Soft suspension.jpeg
    Soft suspension.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi there Fellas,

I have a suspension related question awaiting to be answered.

In a nutshell: I’ve switched my 1.4 Sporting’s stiff suspension to regular/soft suspension components, but the general ride quality remained stiff and harsh.

I have two 188 Puntos as of now. One with 5 doors from 2002 (mk2a 1.2 8v Dynamic) and one with 3 doors from 2003 (mk2b 1.4 16v Sporting).

The latter (being a Sporting) had a stiffer factory setting with a slightly lowered (15mm) suspension and a bumpier ride quality. Recently, I’ve started to feel „old” for that experience and wanted to switch the suspension to a softer setup. Just as like as on my 5 door Dynamic.
Therefore I bought 4 new regular/soft springs and 4 new regular/soft dampers thinking that replacing them would solve the issue.
I've purchased the suspsension set with caution, I bought the ones „suitable for regular suspension vehicles” just to be on the safe side regarding softness.

Back in the days I’ve owned a 2003 mk2a 3 door HLX (yepp, third one in the game) thus I have a general idea about regular/soft 3 door suspension, I am definitely not chasing ghosts.

Well, I’ve replaced the whole lot (4 shocks with 4 springs) on my Sporting and the result is not what I’ve expected.

The car has gained 15mm of ride height and a minimal level of softness was achieved. But that’s it, the general stiffness and bumpy ride quality has remained. Almost like nothing has been changed suspensionwise.

I thought the factory size rims/tyres (185/55R15 alloys) are being the culprits. But I was wrong. I did put the Sporting wheels on my 1.2 Dynamic 5 door just to see what happens when they are paired with the standard/soft suspension. And nothing has changed really, the 5 door’s soft ride quality remained the same even with the low-profile tyres on. So I ruled out the rims/tyres as culprits.

As the new springs gave the car the expected ride height gain they cannot be factory lowered Sporting ones. So the springs were also ruled out as the source of the issue.

The only thing I can think of is the shocks/dampers being the factory stiff Sporting ones (the parts dealer must have messed up the order, I guess).
As far as I know stiff dampers mixed with soft springs result in a stiff ride. Am I right?

Any ideas or insights would be appreciated.

Cheers,
In general I would agree with you and suggested higher profile tyres of the suitable load rating sidewalls i.e. not stiff commercial wall thickness, as modern low profile are not very forgiving on todays road. Maybe the new springs have a higher spring rate as well as being taller as in off road 4x4.
If it was only on bends, then possibly a less stiff antiroll bar.
Other than that try reducing tyre pressure within safe limits of course.
A friend has a nippy tuned up 205 Peugeot, but a more uncomfortable ride is hard to imagine!

Back