Technical Sliding door handle replacement-door won't close after refitting

Currently reading:
Technical Sliding door handle replacement-door won't close after refitting

geegee123

So, being daft I thought a nice sunny Easter weekend lockdown day was appropriate to do this...

Have gotten old broken handle off ok, but fitting the new one when the flexible cable is attached (1a on diagram here: http://4cardata.info/elearn/223/2/2004203/5000766/2001102/2585063 ) and everything reassembled the door does not close and pulling the handle, there is not enough travel to activate the release mechanism either. It's as if there is not enough cable and very tight, but everything seems to be housed ok.

What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_153135664.jpg
    IMG_20200411_153135664.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200411_153148033.jpg
    IMG_20200411_153148033.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200411_153155470.jpg
    IMG_20200411_153155470.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
A reply..? ;)

Sorry, have up in a mood and wasn't going to look at this again yesterday! was so aggravating working on it for 4hrs then being no further forward.

So... The handle had snapped where the lock barrel dummy is. This is a Fiat replacement handle.

I played about with the cable junction/housing which is supposed to clip into the door. Leaving it unclipped, the door would close, and there was enough travel for the handle to open it.

But... Then the door wouldn't lock. Where detaching the cable from the handle again, it slides closed and locks ok.

Ended up just leaving it detached as I couldn't see anything wrong with the rest of it-its as if the cable is pulled to tight when everything is put back together and housed where it should be?

How frustrating.. :(

Same part number on your new handle..?
Im just wondering how things have changed

I just read here https://www.fiatforum.com/doblo/456724-off-side-passenger-door-wont-lock.html

that Fiat may have changed supplier for their handles and that the new one doesn't have the exact same cable attachment position. This would make sense in terms of it being a few mm too tight when fitted back in position and preventing the door from locking? Given the choice between a door handle that doesn't work or a door that doesn't lock I guess i'll just need to get by with opening it from the inside if I can't bodge it though!

Will get everything out again and have a look later... whomever invented those silly b+stard plastic clips for holding interior trim panels in place definitely needs a solid beating however!

Nope.

made a slot in the retaining clip to give a couple mm slack and although door appears to close properly and handle opens it, it still won't lock, whereas detaching the cable from the handle mechanism while disabling the exterior handle, obviously removes the locking issue.

the offside sliding door has no issue with handle or locking mechanism, so I don't think it's anything to do with the fuel door.

At a bit of a loss-not sure whether to try and give it a couple more mm slack somehow with the aim of letting the lock fully engage or if I'm missing a trick. The cable relay box is pretty well hidden inside the door which doesn't help.

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Back