General Sisley on eBay

Currently reading:
General Sisley on eBay

Brilliant stuff, I didn't think you were going until tomorrow! So right now you own three pandas... the bug got you quick!
I think I said tomorrow at like 2am or something like that, so at the time I was meant to say today, whoops! :rolleyes:

I remember that when I was looking at my first Panda or just after I had got it, someone told me that I wouldn't just have one for long. I had no idea that only half a year later I'd be onto number 3, the bug really is accelerating :D
Well done! Looks great :)
Thank you mate!
That's great. It looked pretty good plus the description was favourable
How's the bank balance ??

Ok now stand back leave things as they are and. Don't tinker with him ,her ,it. Get that drive space cleared
Bank balance isn't too healthy now... ;)

As Andy mentioned, the description wasn't as great as I had hoped, and the pictures were from last summer so it didn't look quite as good as I was expecting. When I first arrived, I pulled up next to the 4x4 and my heart sank a little bit, knowing it wasn't what I was thinking it would be. The seller commented on how good my 4x2 was in comparison as I got out the car, which was a sign of things to come :p

Andy was great helping me out though, managed to show him the underneath of the car on video and under the carpets etc until my battery ran out. The gearbox is a bit loose but the engine and 4x4 system all seemed sweet. The sills are okay but not great, starting to go at each end so will need work at some point. Bodywork was tatty all over but at the end of the day, I wanted something I can take off road every now and then, and this is perfect for that!

I looked over the car and considered all options for probably an hour or two in the end, I was very thorough in my decision, and I did some bartering with the seller after I had the long think. I got the car for less than the auction price in the end, I paid there on the spot and had a good chat to the owner of the car. While the description wasn't great online, he was a genuine guy and told me stories of how he drove Sisleys in the Alps when he went skiing in France years ago. He also told of how if there was a problem on his farm or if there was snow, the Panda was the only car that he could rely on, so it was great to hear of the stories he had as well. The car came with the original sale slip, a couple of small Fiat books that came with the car when new, and one MOT certificate from 2015. Only spare he had was a spare wheel which he put in the car for me.

After I taped up the roof rack with some strong tape the seller had, my father drove the car back and I followed all the way home. I'm hoping to get the Sisley on the road soon, been doing some little bits to it today, I'll make a whole thread dedicated to the car soon. Some bits off the black CLX will be donated slowly to the Sisley, and the rest will be taken apart afterwards, then I can move the Sisley to the drive and I'll be back to two Pandas again!
Well done Owen I am looking forward to seeing more pictures today!

Steve - the description was maybe more favourable than the description that was involved when you bought your three, but it was still sh*t! Nowhere near enough information for my liking. I never understand how people who sell cars on ebay think that they can get the cars worth with such a less than basic write up, or maybe that is the point I am missing...
Thanks, and big thanks to you for all the help, I wouldn't have been able to have arrived at a decision if it wasn't for your analysis! It's a good starting point for me :)

The write up was very basic and should have covered a lot more, ideally the car should have been cleaned and the auction held when he wasn't away on holiday as well. Luckily I could view before the auction ended and got to buy there and then to drive it back, and luckily it wasn't a million miles away either so it all turned out well in the end!
Several of us have missed out on 2wd ownership; the start of the journey. What are we missing out on?
What I've learned so far is that my 2wd is a lot smoother running, engine and gearbox wise, but with a bit of getting used to it I bet the 4x4 will be fine. Might have to service the gearbox but that'll make it even smoother which is great. Never used a choke in my life though so I had great fun stalling the car when I got into it for the first time... ;)
Congrats mate!

Now it time to find some lanes, and there seems to be quite a lot nearby to you bud.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=399210&y=165840&z=3&st=4&ar=Y&dn=5413
Thanks mate! There are some lanes around here I'm told, I'm yet to find a lot of them but been down a few in my friend's Land Rover Series 2 - might have to follow him down some time :cool:

---

What matters is that even though it was a lot different to what I was expecting, I'm really happy that I've got a 4x4 Sisley, and this is only just the beginning :)

Last edited:
Sounds like quite a project, look forward to the thread and work beginning. Good low price for a 4x4 on the road too, maybe one day I'll move on to a 4x4, though I recon my 4x2 should get me everywhere I'll want to go, maybe a sump guard might be handy though!

Jealous of your mates series 2 as well, had a series 3 a few years back and selling it is a huge regret of mine!

Sounds like quite a project, look forward to the thread and work beginning. Good low price for a 4x4 on the road too, maybe one day I'll move on to a 4x4, though I recon my 4x2 should get me everywhere I'll want to go, maybe a sump guard might be handy though!

Jealous of your mates series 2 as well, had a series 3 a few years back and selling it is a huge regret of mine!
I can drive it on the road straight away but I want to make sure the gearbox is all good first. A few other little things I want to do, nothing drastic yet, but who knows what the future may bring eh!

A 4x2 will serve you well, the 4x4 is only superior off road as far as I can tell so far, but there's something about having a Sisley that feels pretty special :D My mate has a few Land Rovers, drives a Series 2 by day, has a 2a that he is doing up, and has a couple of Series 3s that are in bits. They really have gone up in value now, can't go wrong with them really, but I'm sticking to my Pandas ;)

What he pays on insurance for his Series 2 would buy my 4x2 and my 4x4 Panda...
Im having trouble getting used to a choke again too! Hopefully starting and running will improve with service items being replaced/fine tuning
I've known of them and seen them being used but actually using one is pretty interesting. Does make you feel a lot more attached to the engine in a way, the carb/distributor/choke is very different to the injected 1993 engine :)

Can't believe his insurance is so high, admittedly I was mid 20's when I had mine but I think it was £250 per year fully comp. will all the options to insure mine, much cheaper than any Panda quote I've had so far! Bought mine for £700, sold it for about £400:(, you'd not even get the bulkhead out of mine for that these days!

I can drive it on the road straight away but I want to make sure the gearbox is all good first. A few other little things I want to do, nothing drastic yet, but who knows what the future may bring eh!

A 4x2 will serve you well, the 4x4 is only superior off road as far as I can tell so far, but there's something about having a Sisley that feels pretty special :D My mate has a few Land Rovers, drives a Series 2 by day, has a 2a that he is doing up, and has a couple of Series 3s that are in bits. They really have gone up in value now, can't go wrong with them really, but I'm sticking to my Pandas ;)

What he pays on insurance for his Series 2 would buy my 4x2 and my 4x4 Panda...

I've known of them and seen them being used but actually using one is pretty interesting. Does make you feel a lot more attached to the engine in a way, the carb/distributor/choke is very different to the injected 1993 engine :)
I totally get you :)

Can't believe his insurance is so high, admittedly I was mid 20's when I had mine but I think it was £250 per year fully comp. will all the options to insure mine, much cheaper than any Panda quote I've had so far! Bought mine for £700, sold it for about £400:(, you'd not even get the bulkhead out of mine for that these days!
It's a 2.25l compared to two 1l cars, and his car is worth 5 times the amount of each of mine so that's the thing really. He can't get classic insurance at his age either so normal policies have to do. Most companies wouldn't touch him! The prices really have shot up on the Landies, then again they are slowly going up on the Pandas now too. A 4x4 Sisley was pennies 10 years ago, now a similar one is a lot more!

The insurance costs I have to pay for a little Panda are okay for my age in comparison to other people's costs but it's still a lot to pay. The red car was £1k on insurance when I got it and the Sisley will be a further £550 including tax from now until November!

Back