General Sisley on eBay

Currently reading:
General Sisley on eBay

I am watching with interest ...
By which I mean, I am interested in seeing what it goes for ... what with having an actual MOT and all.
I'm hoping I can pay him at the viewing and drive away if the car is good and the price is okay. My father is coming along to help me inspect and he is insured to drive other vehicles so can take it home for me if needed.

Does have an MOT which is great, has lots of advisories and has done for most recent MOTs though so is going to need CV gaiters replaced and at some point all the brake pipes should be replaced with copper ones too. Other than that my main cost is going to be insurance as well at my age :bang::rolleyes:

Only thing to watch in terms of getting your dad to drive it back on his insurance is the new tax laws. Technically as the tax is no longer with the car when it sells it will be untaxed. I've bought a couple of cars since the change and have decided it's better to sort all the paperwork out first and then drive it back, especially as it can all be done pretty quickly online (maybe ring your insurance first give them the details in case you go ahead so it's a quick call). The other option is for the seller to post date the V5, a bit naughty but then if you got stopped you would just be driving his/her car, then once home it becomes yours. Bit risky though.

Also watching with interest, will keep my fingers crossed for you. Would be interested to hear your views on comparrison between the 4x2 and 4x4 in terms of road noise and handling etc. Though I'm sure there are a few on here who could advise on that!

Maybe for someone with a lot more Panda experience for me :). Recon it'd take me a long time and a lot of blood, sweat and tears before I came up with anything respectable out of the two of them!
Plus I'd end up spending well more than I could buy a good one for anyhow.

Should have seen the 3 we got for £600 IMG_1490967622.685326.jpg Plus Adams 2wd

Attachments

• IMG_1490967570.137058.jpg
    IMG_1490967570.137058.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Only thing to watch in terms of getting your dad to drive it back on his insurance is the new tax laws. Technically as the tax is no longer with the car when it sells it will be untaxed. I've bought a couple of cars since the change and have decided it's better to sort all the paperwork out first and then drive it back, especially as it can all be done pretty quickly online (maybe ring your insurance first give them the details in case you go ahead so it's a quick call). The other option is for the seller to post date the V5, a bit naughty but then if you got stopped you would just be driving his/her car, then once home it becomes yours. Bit risky though.

Also watching with interest, will keep my fingers crossed for you. Would be interested to hear your views on comparrison between the 4x2 and 4x4 in terms of road noise and handling etc. Though I'm sure there are a few on here who could advise on that!
My dad's insurer allows him to drive other cars that are insured/taxed (as long as the owner of the car consents of course ;)). So, it should be perfectly legal and not naughty at all as far as I am aware to use this part of the insurance clause to drive home :D

I will take the V5 new owner slip and the V5 will be filled out at the location if the car is taken but won't be transmitted until after we drive back, which hopefully isn't too naughty either.

Viewing the car tomorrow. The owner has agreed to let me drive away if I decide to take it. All depends on how many times our good friend called "rust" has decided to visit. More on this story tomorrow... (y)

From the present description I don't think you will go far wrong. Best of luck . Check out out the rear spring hanger area for corrosion. Inner sill and inner rear arch seam under ther tail gate and door seals lengthy of the outer sill front scuttle across its width.

It all comes down to personal taste really, I had a 2wd Parade first, and then had a Sisley. I far preferred the way the 2wd drove on the open road. Not much difference road noise wise, in fact the sisley was probably quieter because it had more trim (arch covers, bonnet insulation and tailgate trim etc). The sisley 1st gear is lower than 2wd, so its slower pulling away from a standing start. The half leather trim, inclinometer and dash are lovely though for sure :)

For me personally (and this is just personal opinion of course) the sisley is an absolute weapon off road, looks amazing with the bullbars etc and has the extra trim and things which are so cool. They get noticed and people want to talk to you about them everywhere you go. It just so happens i didnt like the way they handled day to day driving. Had i had a sisley first and then a 2wd i would probably prefer the sisley though? Just what you get used to maybe

From the present description I don't think you will go far wrong. Best of luck . Check out out the rear spring hanger area for corrosion. Inner sill and inner rear arch seam under ther tail gate and door seals lengthy of the outer sill front scuttle across its width.
I've got quite a long list of things to check, thanks for the pointers. I'm adding to it as I go along, most of what I have written is to do with rust though. I've learned from my 2wd where it starts to go so I'll definitely be having a much more thorough look underneath than I have before! Luckily the 2wd I have doesn't have much anyway :)
It all comes down to personal taste really, I had a 2wd Parade first, and then had a Sisley. I far preferred the way the 2wd drove on the open road. Not much difference road noise wise, in fact the sisley was probably quieter because it had more trim (arch covers, bonnet insulation and tailgate trim etc). The sisley 1st gear is lower than 2wd, so its slower pulling away from a standing start. The half leather trim, inclinometer and dash are lovely though for sure :)

For me personally (and this is just personal opinion of course) the sisley is an absolute weapon off road, looks amazing with the bullbars etc and has the extra trim and things which are so cool. They get noticed and people want to talk to you about them everywhere you go. It just so happens i didnt like the way they handled day to day driving. Had i had a sisley first and then a 2wd i would probably prefer the sisley though? Just what you get used to maybe
I have a 2wd Fizz and am planning to get a 4x4 next (may be this one, we shall see), so I'll soon be able to see how I think it all compares in contrast to my other Panda! Road noise wise I'm not too bothered, but I'm interested to see how the 1st gear ratio differs the driving experience.

I do like the extra trim on the Sisley, one thing I'd want to get on this one if I buy is the "4x4 Sisley" lettering on the doors :D The bullbars and light grilles all add to a good off road look but unfortunately this one available doesn't have any of it, perhaps I can find some good stuff at a reasonable price in the future. People turn heads at my Panda 2wd for sure, they are picking up quite nicely now that the numbers are getting lower and they are considered classic/rare. I wonder if I'll get more head turns in a Sisley than I do in the 2wd!

I've got quite a long list of things to check, thanks for the pointers. I'm adding to it as I go along, most of what I have written is to do with rust though. I've learned from my 2wd where it starts to go so I'll definitely be having a much more thorough look underneath than I have before! Luckily the 2wd I have doesn't have much anyway :)

I have a 2wd Fizz and am planning to get a 4x4 next (may be this one, we shall see), so I'll soon be able to see how I think it all compares in contrast to my other Panda! Road noise wise I'm not too bothered, but I'm interested to see how the 1st gear ratio differs the driving experience.

I do like the extra trim on the Sisley, one thing I'd want to get on this one if I buy is the "4x4 Sisley" lettering on the doors :D The bullbars and light grilles all add to a good off road look but unfortunately this one available doesn't have any of it, perhaps I can find some good stuff at a reasonable price in the future. People turn heads at my Panda 2wd for sure, they are picking up quite nicely now that the numbers are getting lower and they are considered classic/rare. I wonder if I'll get more head turns in a Sisley than I do in the 2wd!
I am sure you will enjoy it!! Just have a fun time viewing it :)

Good to hear there is the potential to drive away tomorrow, fingers crossed it's all good and a good price can be agreed.

So far I've only driven the 4x2 to and from the garage on the industrial estate where I work when I've needed to borrow their ramps so even that is an experience I'm yet to have, though I did drive a mates Marbella years ago and thought it was brilliant (expecially as at the time I was kicking around in a fairly large old BMW so the contrast was epic!).

For me in a way the simplicity of the Panda is a bit of the draw, so I guess that's why I'm much less fussed about most of the Sisley add ons. Probably like many 4x2 owners on here it was the 4x4's which initially sparked my interest in Panda's and I would love to have one, it's just I've bought my car to drive long distance on road so a late model 4x2 with a 5 speed box, fuel injection and electronic ignition fitted the bill. Plus the minimal cost added to the appeal!

As for three Panda's for £600, what a deal, if only I had the time and space required for projects like that!

Brilliant stuff, I didn't think you were going until tomorrow! So right now you own three pandas... the bug got you quick!

That's great. It looked pretty good plus the description was favourable
How's the bank balance ??

Ok now stand back leave things as they are and. Don't tinker with him ,her ,it. Get that drive space cleared

Drive and be happy

All the best. Steve

End or chapter one !

Last edited:
Well done Owen I am looking forward to seeing more pictures today!

Steve - the description was maybe more favourable than the description that was involved when you bought your three, but it was still sh*t! Nowhere near enough information for my liking. I never understand how people who sell cars on ebay think that they can get the cars worth with such a less than basic write up, or maybe that is the point I am missing...

Well done Owen I am looking forward to seeing more pictures today!

Steve - the description was maybe more favourable than the description that was involved when you bought your three, but it was still sh*t! Nowhere near enough information for my liking. I never understand how people who sell cars on ebay think that they can get the cars worth with such a less than basic write up, or maybe that is the point I am missing...

I agree with your whole train of thought

But. What you have to consider is that it's a car to most people they only see that outer shell it may be beautiful a love of there life but sometimes that love is only skin deep , a full understanding of its
Workings and problems is beyond most
Owners.
Only the insane few live, breathe and forgo sustenance to record and document it all
Must go pandarneriring ( adjective to modify alter improve a fiat model 141 )

To do !!
Steve

Last edited:
Yes agreed.

It seems we must discuss the apparent natural progression for 2wd to Panda 4x4 ownership as well!

Several of us have missed out on 2wd ownership; the start of the journey. What are we missing out on?

Not having the nagging feeling that you've got to go and find a muddy mountain for your car to make sense:p

Back