Technical Simply shocking...

Currently reading:
Technical Simply shocking...

Right, so as some of you who have been reading my build thread will already know my rear Apex shocks are leaking like a dog when it sees a lampost.

So I have some options:

1. Buy 2 new Apex replacements for the rear and continue using the fronts.

2. Buy one of those el cheapo FK kits for £130 with shocks and shiny new springs and hope they turn up.

3. Buy some KYB Excel G shocks and use the existing FK or Apex springs I already have.

4. Buy some fancy adjustable shocks, which the adjusters which will seize up on because I'll never be bothered to adjust them and which will also cost a small fortune.

5. Get some cheap coil overs and have a car which I'd probably rather walk than use on a regular basis.

6. Win the lottery and buy that rather awesome set of Ohlins shocks I pointed out the other day.

Now I have to admit I much prefer the ride on the progressive FK springs to the Apex ones (and the yellow looks orible!), especially since the roads here are heavily patched due to contant roadworks (all cables, sewage, phone lines etc. under the roads). So why consider the KYB you may ask, well they are still produced in Japan with more likely better QC. As much as I find the FK/Hitech springs decent I would think such an industry leading manufacturer as KYB is going to make a much better shock product. Finally having been driving around in Mrs. H's Sei for the last few weeks while sorting a few minor niggles out on it, I find the ride with the standard shocks and FK springs a really good compromise between performance and not needing to see the chiropracter every week.

I'm looking for opinions and further options so please add at leisure. :)

Cheers

Last edited:
I had similar problems with my rear adjustables...they kept seizing up and i have now opted for the KYB route and TBH i think that they are perfectly well upto the job so im now thinking what a waste of money some rear adjustables would of been so im in agreement with you:D:D go with KYB shox(y)(y)

Can I just add with regards to FK's delivery, the only issue I had was with Yodel, FK despatched very quickly but it took Yodel weeks to actually deliver them, thinking that they couldn't fit their van down our road ... :rolleyes:

I've had one good experience and one very bad with them. Seems to be luck of the draw. I also had one order I paid for and disapeared on their system, however they were quick to refund it.

Last edited:
Well I have spax adjustables avec spax 40mm springs all round. I can't really fault them tbh - And as of yet none of the adjusters have siezed. Set on soft its almost like driving a standard car comfort wise and then nice and firm if turned t'other way.

Although i do tend to agree you don't ever really adjust them. But it does give you the option to get it how you like it when you put them on, after that there isn't really any need to adjust them after that unless you go on a track.

So a choice between Apex, Spax, KYB and FK?

No further sugestions or newcomers before I get the crowbar and prise my wallet open?

I think the red springs I have may actually be Spax and just look the same as FK (there's no writting on them and they came with another car, just noticed spax look the same as FK). :confused:

Hmm have to admit Ming I'm seriously tempted by the price and have been very impressed with the spring kit I fitted to Mrs. H's car. Are the shocks really as good as the springs? Shame we haven't got people reviewing and comparing stuff like they do on the computer hardware websites. :D

Hmm have to admit Ming I'm seriously tempted by the price and have been very impressed with the spring kit I fitted to Mrs. H's car. Are the shocks really as good as the springs? Shame we haven't got people reviewing and comparing stuff like they do on the computer hardware websites. :D

I do auto-testing in them, they haven't busted unlike some the Technix shocks i got from Germany in the past!

Ming

And what are they like on the road, would I need a pile cushion and a gum guard or are they just nice and firm like Kaley Cuoco?

KYB's have a really impresive spec, twin gas valves and all that technical waffle, also FK can be a **** to deal with (TFF PayPal) but still works out cheaper to buy the FK kit than the KYB's with postage. Hmmmm :spin:

See, I would prefer getting matching shocks and springs.

I don't know, I'll got a carbon bucket seat in the car and the whole car is pretty much bare so there is no comfort in the car what so ever lol. But I don't think they are really built for comfort, but i do have the 70/50 lowering kit.

I guess if comfort is your priority then go for the KYB shock.

Back