Technical Side mirror cap removal ...but wait

Currently reading:
Technical Side mirror cap removal ...but wait

Hey guys,

Been awhile since I've posted, due to covid and doing alot of others people's cars my beloved Grande Punto tjet has taken a back seat.

I'm want to change my mirror covers, and yes I've seen the tutorial write up of basically just pull it. But due to my cars age I'm expecting palstic to be brittle and don't want to brake anything I can't see. I'm wondering if you remove the mirror glass can you release the mirror cap from the inside? Like what you can do in the Seat Ibiza's 6j?

Thanks

Adjust the mirro to be full down and to the righ or left
You may then be able to get a small screwdriver in and push the clips to help realese them

I know you can do that with other fiat mirrors I'd think the Punto ones will be the same

Also probably worth heating the plastic up with a hair dryer as warm plastic is a lot more flexible

Yeah due to having the Exotica red colour whenni bought it, it has started to fade, and think gloss black ones would suit nice and be an easy mod
Hi again :)

As much chance of braking the mirror.. or its mounts :eek:

Personally I would just do the cap..

Why are you looking to remove it?

Paint damage..??

Well I have seen a video on how to remove it on YouTube, and it looks like a good hard yank, but I hate that feeling, I ideally would rather see inside and try release the tabs from the inside. I know if I just pull on the side mirror it will break tabs guaranteed
Its the same mirror assembly as a 500 ;)

Park so the mirror is in full sun for a while.. should all be warmed uniformly :)

If you are fitting new caps.. why worry about disturbing other parts ?

For anyone else looking to change the side mirrors, I found that if you pull back on the fattest end closest to the door you can get it to come free some, but a.little trick if you can get a small flat head in and rest and.precise it under the retaining tab it is as if you have 3 arms working on it. I had to tilt my mirror to face the floor tomgice.me access from the top

The official way seems to be from behind. The glass is held in by clips rather than glue, so can be removed, which then allows access to the clips, from around/through the backing plate:

Ralf S.

Back