Technical Side airbags and rear infact seat (baby, group 0)

Currently reading:
Technical Side airbags and rear infact seat (baby, group 0)

rdoll

Hi All,

Hope you might be able to help. :) I have a maxi cosi cabiofix seat for the back of my fiat 500. It's a small seat and does fit in the rear seats, which is great! But I noticed there are side airbags near the front passenger/drivers heads. Do I need to disable these when the carseat is on the rear seat? I'm not sure how big/wide these side airbags are.

Many thanks x x

I do not know if you "need" to - in the sense that they would interfere with the child seat in the back - but I very much suspect not.

I am also 99% sure that you would not be able to disable these even if you wanted to, and you would stuggle to find any dealer willing to turn off any airbag other then the front passnger on in the dash that can be disabled through the settings.

The airbags are what's called 'curtain' airbags and are only to help cushion the possible blow of your head with the cant rail on the car, as well as the side glass. Your baby seat won't be affected by them, indeed it might help stop some flying debris hitting your baby in the event of a serious side on accident.

Remember, not all of the airbags will deploy in a head on crash, likewise not all in a side on accident..

watch this 1.10 into the video there is the rear child seat view in side impact the bag comes nowhere near the children in the back

!

Still if your in any doubt about the suitability of your child seat have a chat with your dealer :)

oh and welcome to the forum :wave:

Last edited:
Andy's video shows good evidence, but something else to consider: if there was any risk to the baby by putting a car seat in the rear seats you can guarantee that, just as there are for the front passenger seat there would be warning signs all over the place, both in the car and in the manual. And there aren't any. :)

Thanks everyone!! :) The video was especially useful. It has put my mind at ease. This was my first post in this forum and everyone on here seems lovely. Thanks again x x

Back