General Show Us Your Ducato

Currently reading:
General Show Us Your Ducato

Hey

I just joined the forum and sadly just beat you on the age of a Ducato, my mate just bought a 1985 Ducato AutoStratus motorhome that we're using to go bike racing.

Its generally in fairly good condition and is displaying 67,000 miles although this may well not be genuine. I've had to do a few jobs to make it pleasantly driveable like rebuilding the gear linkage, replacing some brake parts and rebuilding the O/S driveshaft.

I'm currently looking for information on rebuilding the heater box, its more than a little worse for wear, none of the controls work properly, it leaks from the matrix and the motor is noisy. I'm hoping someone can tell me if it will come out without removing the dashboard any idea?

Toad

Stoke on Trent

Hi Toad (y)
Hey, could well be genuine mileage as motor vans don't usually get out much... :eek:
I think the layout on the Autostratus is the same as the Autoking.
Never had to do the heater on mine, and sadly don't know anyone with experience to ask.
I've had a leak on the under seat matrix. The unions for the pipe are long and possibly shock/vibrate and round one of mine is cracked. Took it out and joined hoses together for now until I get it fixed.
Be good if you could take some pics when you do yours though with a brief 'HOW TO', as I'm sure it's only a matter of time before mine goes... (Had it 7 yrs now)
...but off top of my head (and I could be wrong) I don't think you'll need to take the dash out. Maybe a seat and base to make working under easier though?
Sorry can't be more helpful.
It's a problem you're going to have to sort though.
I got a mixture of oil and coolant under engine... (about a tablespoon) suspecting water pump, but where the coolant hoses route round the back of the engine is a mystery to me :confused:
Has yours got the Alko axle - if so get plenty of grease into the 4 grease nipples as the axles can seize up (esp if it is genuine mileage - as it will have done a lot of standing in its 23 yr life!)
If you do have time to do a brief 'How To' you could post it in the 'Guides' Section.
cheers and welcome!
mick

Heres my van speedo now, how many miles still left in it?

Doorman ducato 250k miles 001.jpg

ducato 250k miles 009.jpg

Here is my one after I had finished making and fitting all the bits.

Attachments

• PC010036.JPG
    PC010036.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • PC010037.JPG
    PC010037.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
DSC001138.jpg

This is my `94 2,5turbodiesel. :rolleyes: Get it from my dad. Now I am changing suspension, need a new windshield, battery, backdoor locker, and again cut the rust :yuck:
Done: new 16" wheels, tail lights (stock), painted back blue, added new sound system (pioneer head, JVc speakers and subwoofer), cb radio :slayer: and a lot of small stuff`s :)

And mine, a campervan with extras (foldup boat on side, bikes on back, fog lights on front, ...).

PeterM

Attachments

• ducato_pcm.jpg
    ducato_pcm.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 27
Hi , I've just purchased the exact same model, and the same age. I love this motorhome and it fits my needs exactly.
Just one slight problem......the gearbox.
When I test drove it, it was great, I drove it a good distance to get it warm and I was impressed how good it moved for its age.
After purchasing it, I had to drive a good 70 miles home, which I did with no issues. Then the weekend after I did a 200 mile round trip and it was only during the last twenty or so miles from home that we hit traffic. It was then I realised that it didn't like 1st or 2nd when it was warm ! It was as if the gate was not there, then sporadically, it would go in.
Do you have any ideas? The guy at the m.o.t. Station checked the oil level and that was fine, I believe there is a dip stick on the top of the gear box, accessible from the underside, but as I said this was ok.
I'm not sure what or where to go next, any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks. Jay.

DSC_0135.jpegDSC_0134.jpeg
Camping in Athlone, central Ireland, a few weeks ago.... Lightning and thunder overhead ?. Drive away awning is a Vango Airbeam, works really well.
Covered 950 miles that week from Thetford Norfolk and back. Van had 145000 or so, got it with 135000 or so 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Do you have any ideas? The guy at the m.o.t. Station checked the oil level and that was fine, I believe there is a dip stick on the top of the gear box, accessible from the underside, but as I said this was ok.

Hi, AFAIK the dipstick was fitted to the pre-94 Ducatos with the convoluted linkage (LHD column to floor conversion)

If your model is indeed as above (X244) an 'easy' first check is to grease the gearbox pivot at the point where the cable linkage translates to actuating rod. If unsure where this is or how to do it there are several threads on the forum

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/32...2-8-jtd-gear-linkage.html?320494=#post3192266

Last edited:
Back