General Shocks replaced

Currently reading:
General Shocks replaced

A little bit more love for our Cross today, finally I fitted the new shock absorbers after the new bolts turned up the first video (better with sound on as you can hear the groan and clunk) was the best of the two and surprisingly it was the near side 🤦🏼‍♂️

The new Monroe units have vastly improved the handling which had developed a tendency to pitch over bumps.

Unfortunately I found that the off side bump stop had also given up the ghost, so I’ll be revisiting that in the next few weeks, just as soon

as I can source a new one 😬 I’ll also remove the spring assisters which the previous owner fitted to help in towing a trailer as they are now redundant.

Sorry if the videos are an issue I’ll delete them 👍🏻

video make life so much better than trying to explain a sound 👍

Are the replacements shocks standard OEM or uprated
Just the standard Monroe direct replacement. The ones that came off were Boge, so not sure if they were the original ones or ones that were fitted as a previous replacement or as part of changes for towing; but they were genuinely appalling. The handling feels far more familiar now. Just need to source the bump stop as at the moment i can’t find an OEM option.

Just the standard Monroe direct replacement. The ones that came off were Boge, so not sure if they were the original ones or ones that were fitted as a previous replacement or as part of changes for towing; but they were genuinely appalling. The handling feels far more familiar now. Just need to source the bump stop as at the moment i can’t find an OEM option.
Cheers OEM handling on the standard none 4x4 is fine for me.

Worth getting an OEM specification bump stop, if you ever load up the rear with a couple of people, plus baggage in the back the bump stops becomes part of the suspension instead of the springs

Cheers OEM handling on the standard none 4x4 is fine for me.

Worth getting an OEM specification bump stop, if you ever load up the rear with a couple of people, plus baggage in the back the bump stops becomes part of the suspension instead of the springs
I’m fine with the standard handling as it’s all part of the charm 😁
I may well do OEM if i can’t source the Febi one as new old stock. Apparently they used to do them and were about half the price, but not showing as available now

According to Febi website

Which are £13 on Amazon
That’s what i intially thought, but apparently on our diesel Cross it’s 51773509 and looks like this one and “hangs” from the top mount as against the bottom

I make it

51773509 suv
51732788 multijet cross and climbing

However both are mounted at the bottom

CCC88FA6-F733-4C12-8938-075135E0E90F.jpeg
0CF37F80-C3E7-4A22-B27D-C422BAB84119.jpeg
FACF5784-AA79-4D3F-94D0-508D063DEB71.jpeg
B764AF63-DC87-4A11-A1AE-CC0994C2AC0F.jpeg

Looks like the diagrams on eper are wrong

The 2wd version is shown upside down also

Here’s the 4x4 to save you the bother of a fresh photo

I’d be tempted to message a febi 36985 seller

View attachment 411505
Got a message back from Febi seller. Cant say it “won’t fit” and can’t say why the Cross has a different part to a standard 4x4. So i may give it a try given the price difference 👍🏻

Back