Shall I Sell?

Currently reading:
Shall I Sell?

Transformer

Well im thinking its time for a new car :)

Im just wondering what sort of cars are as fun to drive as cento's but within a 17/18 year old's insurance price range?
I've got qoutes for a 1.6 Astra SXI with me as the main driver for about £2k and im seriously tempted, but I just don't think I will get the same satisfaction from a different "Younger Driver" style car.

Any suggestions are welcome, or even if you can make me change my mind about selling would be good :)

Al.

Yeah i thought that would be the case, its just a real shame cause it is fun to drive, but it is very noisy and pretty hot during summer (yeah yeah roll the windows down, but its far too noisy on dual carriageway) so just looking for something more... insulated ;)

Very difficult at that kind of insurance. I hate to say it, but a Punto until your premiums come down?

Well luckily enough i can afford anything up to about 2.7k and the only things which crop up to that level are 2l engines or bigger or MG's

If under 2 litre, there's the 1.8 Alfa 155 (which I think feels like a big Cinq), or the Punto HGT (which has a slightly later version of the Alfa engine) -- the Alfa tends to be much cheaper than the HGT. Or there's the Clio Williams, which tends to be costly but is still very highly regarded and keepable.

You're in the area of high mileage (but affordable) Alfa 2 litres, the GTV and, amazingly, the Brera, but the French stuff bears looking at.

The MX5, too, although I still find it hard to reconcile contemporary reports of its on the limit handling (French tarmac rally nutter Francois Delacour was reported as saying "happily it does not have 150bhp" and he was not praising it!) with its present sanctification.

try looking at turbo diesels! i can have a 1.7td astra for the same price as my cento and only got 1 year no claims and on a provisional too! but i think i'l stick with my cento (y)

i think i will stick with dave on this one, if your steering away from a fiat and want something simular to a cento id go for an old type mini (y)

Rover 200 (bubble shape) / Rover 25?

Seriously underated cars (mainly due to the head gasket "issues"), handle superb, very comfy, very low insurance groups, good looking, surprisingly roomy (big boot and loads of rear leg room), very cheap to run too and can be picked up for pocket money.

For your age I would go for a 1.4 8v. 75hp doesnt sound like a lot but the Astra you're looking at probably doesn't put out a lot more, plus this keeps the insurance group down to 3, which is the same as a Cinq sporting.

Cheers for the opinions guys but I have picked up a VW Golf SE 1.6, and inb4 "boy racer" or "common car" its bigger and roomier which is what I am needing :)

Also opinions on the golf are welcome :)

Thanks

Al.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back