Technical Shaking a bit at 60-70 km/h(37-44 mph)

Currently reading:
Technical Shaking a bit at 60-70 km/h(37-44 mph)

mortenjustesen

Hi guys!

My dear 500(1.2) have a minor bug. When I drive around 60-70 km/h(37-44 mph) the whole car shakes and rumbles. The amount of shaking vary of the kind of road I drive on, but when I go faster og slower then the shaking magicly disappears.

When I got the car(december) I got some new winter tires mounted on some steel rims.

Last time I went to the dealer, I was gonna show him how it feels, so I took him for a drive - but at that trip there where no shaking :mad:. So now I will find a good piece of road, with a lot of shaking and rumbling, and put him in the car again.

In the meantime, do you have any suggestions to what can cause this shaking?

Sounds like good old wheel balance to me.

New tyres/wheels should ideally be balanced and tracked every time they are fitted: I had two new tyres a couple of months ago and had the job was done properly, and the tracking was out by 4mm from the previous year. It saves on tyre wear and bearing problems in the long run, not to mention wheel-wobble.

also new tyres and wheels are marked at their "heaviest" point with a red dot. The two should be exactly 180* apart when fitting, I wonder how many garages actually take any notice of that....

Generally, if you can feel the shaking through the steering wheel it is almost cetainly going to be wheel balance.

If the vibration appears to come through the floor/seat then it could be an out of balance mechanical component such as a driveshaft.

This was more prevalent on rear wheel drive cars with prop shaft U/Js worn than on FWD vehicles though.

Wheel balancing for sure:) I take a guess that you got the wheels already mounted on the rims from the factory, and that they just mounted them without balancing them....
Where the centercaps of your winterwheels already broken when you took off the wrapping around the new wheels. Mine was, all 4 of them:mad:. But the dealer gave me new....
Are you Norwegian? If you are where did you buy your car?

Back