Setting up NAS

Currently reading:
Setting up NAS

garlicbread22

Hello

I have just got a Dlink DNS-323 NAS. I havent had NAS before and i dont really understand a lot of the terms used. I have done the basic set up and its working, but there are a few things im unsure about

1. Watching video across the web. I have set up FireflyFTP and got it working, but to watch things across the internet I need to enter the Web Host. There are 2 fields to fill in; Host and Prefix. What do i put?

2.Should I enable Jumbo Frames? If so, what MTU number?

3. For network access, do i want Opblocks and/or Map Archive?

4.Should i enable LLTD?

I have looked these things up, but the explanation of what they are usually uses other terms i dont understand. Thanks for any help (y)

Well im pretty ignorant on the subject too so im not sure how much you know or anything, but NAS is network attached storage. And these questions I have asked are all things in the settings for the enclosure of the hard drives. Apart from the first question which is about a firefox add on which allows you to access the NAS over the internet.

Not a familiar with DLink devices but if you are using Vista or 7 and want fancy network maps then enable 3 and 4 - no harm in doing so really.

2. No point in enabling unless you have Gigabit connections (including the modem/switch).

1. Not sure - probably needs you to put in your public IP address. You would also need to setup port forwarding to the NAS box.

Thank you very much for the reply! very helpful! no i dont have a gigabit connection

Refering back to 1., when you say Public IP address, do you you mean the IP addresss of my computer?

Refering back to 1., when you say Public IP address, do you you mean the IP addresss of my computer?
What screen are you looking at? Within DLink or FTP program?

I would imagine host is your public/WAN IP address (i.e. not the LAN IP of your computer on the network) - and prefix the port number.

Thank you very much for the reply! very helpful! no i dont have a gigabit connection

I'm assuming you have a standalone adsl/cable modem/router. Amoung other things this device will do NAT, which means you have one public IP address which the internet sees and then lots of local IP addresses within the network in your house. Local IP addresses will usually be like 192.168.x.x. These local IP addresses are handled by the NAT so the internet sees all the requests coming from one public IP address (assigned to your router by your ISP). This is great for security as it means someone on the internet cannot connect to your machine unless you have requested something from them or you have set up specific port forwarding/triggers.

In order for you to connect via FTP to the DLink box from the internet you need to forward the appropriate ports in you router to the DLink box. This means anyone connecting to your public IP address on the FTP port (usually 21 TCP) will be connected through the router to the DLink box. Obviously you need logins/password on the DLink or anyone can connect to it!

Sounds complicated? I've got an honours degree in the subject :D

Last edited:
What screen are you looking at? Within DLink or FTP program?

It is in the FTP program

Sounds complicated? I've got an honours degree in the subject :D

An honours degree would be pretty useful right now i think lol.
Im pretty sure I understand what you mean about the IPs, and I know my local IP address, but then how do i find out my public IP?

Thanks for that!

although I would love to check if using that would work, the entire FTP program has stopped working now and I cannot connect to the NAS. No idea why

Back