General selespeed transmission issue please help.

Currently reading:
General selespeed transmission issue please help.

New to fiat

my 2006 punto grande wont select reverse, it tries to select reverse and alls it does is grind without actually selecting reverse. It did drive fine going forward until you try to select reverse after that it will shut the transmission down and wont allow any gear until i wipe codes with an expensive machine.

its the automatic/semi auto with the selespeed transmission, 1.4 petrol.

any ideas what it could be?

im thinking about pulling the box out to inspect the clutch and box but looking for ideas and advice before i start.

thanks for any and all answers.
kane

Hi

There is a GUIDE for these on the grande

1st.. look.. is the gearbox wet and oily

2. Check the fluid level in the clear tank on top of gearbox

Then you need to plug in gearbox diagnostics

Let us know about 1 and 2 :)
thanks for your reply, i changed the selespeed fluid and drove it around for a while everything was at the correct level before and after flushing the fluid with new fluid, looking underneath the box is dry, i have had it on diagnostics and came up with p1818- gearchange control, and p060c- control unit fault (microprocessor). im in 2 minds because these codes only come up after i put the car in reverse, the car drives fine forward. but as soon as i select reverse it tries to select and then grinds before telling me to check transmission which then lead to these codes. could a bad clutch or gearbox trigger these codes, or would the car know if the clutch had gone? and tell me via codes?

Knowing what the tail light wiring is like on Grandes.. I would still look at that further

Cleaning contacts ..checking wires

And Swapping correct wattage bulbs is cheaper and easier than gearbox work (y)

Member @irc might be in a position to help further
That does sound more like a mechanical problem...
It's trying to get the requested gear, but failing to do so, so it gives up and throws a code.
Without seeing/hearing it, I would have to suggest (in increasing order of pain):
1. Clutch
2. Knackered gearbox
3. Failed servo on Dualogic actuator.

Not come across (3) without an accompanying leak of Selespeed fluid, but I'm sure it could happen.
(2) is as likely on a Dualogic as a manual, i.e. it does happen, but not too often. Although an input shaft with a failed bearing is a possibility.
(1) usually results in more than one gear having a problem, but Reverse can be a cow to get on a manual car with an iffy clutch, and the Dualogic is only trying to do the same as a manual.

As I read it, it will not ever select reverse, but all other gears work OK. No bad juddering or kangaroo gearchanges.
Can it successfully get reverse with the engine off?
If it can, then the next useful step probably involves removing the gearbox to change the clutch.
If it can't, the the next useful step probably involves removing the gearbox to repair or replace it. (And to change the clutch!)

I would probably have a small wager on (2), but all bets are off if it’s been "adjusted" by an "expert".

Knowing what the tail light wiring is like on Grandes.. I would still look at that further

Cleaning contacts ..checking wires

And Swapping correct wattage bulbs is cheaper and easier than gearbox work (y)

Member @irc might be in a position to help further
i will get on that tomorow thank you for your help

It's trying to get the requested gear, but failing to do so, so it gives up and throws a code.
Without seeing/hearing it, I would have to suggest (in increasing order of pain):
1. Clutch
2. Knackered gearbox

Not come across (3) without an accompanying leak of Selespeed fluid, but I'm sure it could happen.
(2) is as likely on a Dualogic as a manual, i.e. it does happen, but not too often. Although an input shaft with a failed bearing is a possibility.
(1) usually results in more than one gear having a problem, but Reverse can be a cow to get on a manual car with an iffy clutch, and the Dualogic is only trying to do the same as a manual.

As I read it, it will not ever select reverse, but all other gears work OK. No bad juddering or kangaroo gearchanges.
If it can, then the next useful step probably involves removing the gearbox to change the clutch.
If it can't, the the next useful step probably involves removing the gearbox to repair or replace it. (And to change the clutch!)

I would probably have a small wager on (2), but all bets are off if it’s been "adjusted" by an "expert".
thank you for your detailed advice, no juddering or kangerooing, one thing i can think of is, sometimes it dosnt change into second gear when i would like it to so the engine over revs, so i normally just click up on the gearstick and it changes smoothly enough me. This only happens on cold starts when setting off. when the engine is off and i select reverse it does say R on the dash

1. Clutch
2. Knackered gearbox

once the transmission is off is there anyway to test it or would that require a transmission company to know for definate

thank you for your detailed advice, no juddering or kangerooing, one thing i can think of is, sometimes it dosnt change into second gear when i would like it to so the engine over revs, so i normally just click up on the gearstick and it changes smoothly enough me. This only happens on cold starts when setting off. when the engine is off and i select reverse it does say R on the dash
But is it actually in gear? (Car won't roll if you release the handbrake if it is)
If it goes into gear smoothly, without making a clacking noise, then that does point more to a clutch problem.

But is it actually in gear? (Car won't roll if you release the handbrake if it is)
If it goes into gear smoothly, without making a clacking noise, then that does point more to a clutch problem.
ill have to double check, but at the moment shes back in transmission safety mode it wont select any gear so i need to borrow the scanner again to delete codes so i can try, ill update, thanks

Back