General Selecta..... tell me about them.

Currently reading:
General Selecta..... tell me about them.

Velocemitch

Not content with already owning three cars, my Daughter as just put a deposit on what appears to be a rather nice Panda Selecta. It's very shiny and incredibly low Mileage, so I just hope it's not a rot box underneath.

But being a Selecta, I'm not really sure what to expect. Reading a few period reviews it sounds like it's smooth enough, but dampens the (somewhat limited in the first place!) power a bit.

What are they like for reliability and spares, I know lots of components are unique.

Don't believe everything you read! Selecta's are the GT of period pandas, especially the later 1108cc version.

The consensus seems to be that they will either break their cvt box or electric clutchy thing at 50k miles or go on much longer.

@MEP knows more that me as I only have one and he's had loads.

Otherwise usual panda stuff applies.

The 1108cc Selecta I've just passed on was very quick, so whatever you read is rubbish! Around town hardly anything is quicker, and out on the A roads you can embarrass quite quick modern stuff - it doesn't change gear so you get continuous acceleration. It's happy all day at speeds in excess of the motorway limit too, so slow, no.

A good one will NOT creep at all in drive or reverse. That's the first sign of something amiss. It should stay put, but move as soon as your foot gets near the accelerator - I could never quite tell if it actually sensed it just before you touched the pedal - it felt like it did!

It was brilliant - it would sit 6 months and start as soon as the key turned. The black magic of a "modern" fuel injection system I suppose (carbs are more familiar to me!). I nearly kept it just because, but I didn't use it & it was better moved on. Everyone who drives it, thinks it's great - and I didn't like autos either.

Lots have gone wrong, but you're talking 25 year old cars here. If you've got a good one it's brilliant (y)

Well that's encouraging thanks. I haven't seen the car yet, but checking the reg number it is the 1108 so will be on Injection. Again I think I would prefer a carb for simplicity, but FI does tend to work better... until it doesn't at all!.

Obviously the big worry is tin worm, but if it turns out to be solid underneath, it would appear to have been a cracking purchase.

We shall see when it gets collected tonight. :)

I can't really expand on what others have said other than they're great fun!

SPi is simple enough, and normally a lot more reliable that a carb and points setup, so don't let that worry you.

Just make sure the car will sit still in drive, it shouldn't creep like a conventional automatic, and only move when you lightly tap the accelerator.

In addition to this check the colour of the CVT gearbox fluid. Should be a bright blood red - if dark and burnt looking then you need to look at changing it (not difficult, just make sure you replace it the CVT gearbox oil and not traditional auto gearbox fluid) (y)

I look forward to seeing some pics once you've picked it up :)

OK made it back, car seems to be pretty genuine, a few areas which will need the attention of a MIG underneath, but not that much.
Only slightly worrying thing is a bit of reluctance to engage drive when starting off. Always seems to be fine if you put it into low first then up into drive but is very hit and miss to start off in drive. Seems to 'crunch' as if it's not engaged properly.
The indicator light doesn't always come on either, as if the electrical contact isn't making properly. I haven't properly researched the system yet, but is the Selecta 'handle' effectively just a switch which is changing positions on electrical contacts, or does it physically move the system with a mechanical connection?.

Photos here... not the best as I very little time this morning

Oh... you can't see it but that odometer is reading 14800... ish... yes really!!

Attachments

• IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 24
I think this might be original....
Which is actually rather worrying, shouldn't stay on, but I'd also hate to put it in the skip.

Attachments

• IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 25
Nice one!

Can't complaint on the mot history, no single fail in last 10 years.
Registration number: L707PLG

• Vehicle make FIAT
  • Vehicle model PANDA
  • Date first used 15 September 1993
  • Fuel type Petrol
  • Colour Red
MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date 2 February 2016
  • Expiry date 1 February 2017
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 14,768 miles
  • MOT test number 3970 7530 1476
  • Test date 12 August 2014
  • Expiry date 4 September 2015
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 14,086 miles
  • MOT test number 5862 0472 4219
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)
    Offside Front Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.2.6)
    Nearside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

• Test date 13 August 2013
  • Expiry date 4 September 2014
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 13,823 miles
  • MOT test number 6082 1512 3231
  • Test date 7 August 2012
  • Expiry date 4 September 2013
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 13,555 miles
  • MOT test number 7657 1012 2261
  • Test date 11 August 2011
  • Expiry date 4 September 2012
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 13,230 miles
  • MOT test number 9467 4362 1240
  • Test date 10 August 2010
  • Expiry date 4 September 2011
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 12,961 miles
  • MOT test number 6942 3232 0254
  • Test date 19 August 2009
  • Expiry date 4 September 2010
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 12,654 miles
  • MOT test number 3539 0193 9444
  • Test date 19 August 2008
  • Expiry date 4 September 2009
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 12,345 miles
  • MOT test number 1822 7253 8264
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)
    floor to sill area corroded but not considered excessive nearside and offside

• Test date 15 August 2007
  • Expiry date 4 September 2008
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 11,947 miles
  • MOT test number 7818 7792 7240
  • Test date 21 August 2006
  • Expiry date 4 September 2007
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 11,424 miles
  • MOT test number 5101 9353 6283
  • Test date 31 August 2005
  • Expiry date 4 September 2006
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 10,853 miles
  • MOT test number 1821 0364 5235

Yup, don't think the 2014 advisory was ever done though, probably a bit suspect the current one, but it's safe enough for now.

I think this might be original....
Which is actually rather worrying, shouldn't stay on, but I'd also hate to put it in the skip.

They are the origionals, the same as our Selecta's came with :eek:

Need changing asap. The selector lever is both mechanical and electrical, and there is an adjustment which can be made on the gearbox, although not normally required.

On the accelerator pedal there are 2 micro switched with plugs in line. Disconnect them both and see if drive still crunches. If not then one of these is sending a signal when it shouldn't be, resulting in the clutch not fully disengaging, which will cause the crunching.

The car should still drive with the switched disconnected, but will rev a bit more before engaging the clutch and moving off - and I'd keep it this way until the switches are resolved.

Nice to see the low mileage - our first only had 15500 on the clock when we got it in the summer of 2007 :)

After a bit of running about it seems to be settling down nicely. Daughter has been using for work today and seems to be getting her head around the Selector system. I had took it for spin tonight and the light for D seems to come and go a bit, but it's functioning fine. No repeat of that crunching noise.

There seems to be a strange rattling Buzz from the area of the centre consul when the car gets to about 65, which gets a bit noisier as you go faster. It stops as you slow down again. It does sound more like a trim rattle than anything mechanical, but I wonder if it is something to do with the transmission as it's certainly speed related.

Quite impressed with the way it drives though, its certainly a clever system and brilliant as a town car. As was said earlier, it's no slouch either and seems to go quite well.

I'm tempted to try it on one of the motor clubs Car Trials, in low ratio I reckon it might grip surprisingly well on wet Grass..... ;)

That rattly buzzing sound is probably the speedo cable, mine does it too. I'd change those tyres though as I've had two motorway blow outs on old ones, not really worth the hassle for 35 a tyre!
Selecta is my joint favourite car as it's so easy to drive and embarrasses bigger cars at the traffic lights without trying. If mine was red it would be perfect!

But being a Selecta, I'm not really sure what to expect. Reading a few period reviews it sounds like it's smooth enough, but dampens the (somewhat limited in the first place!) power a bit.
This is Ivor at North Weald

To be fair to Ivor he did have a blown head casket and a broken rear gearbox mount on that day:rolleyes:

Following a small coming together with the back of a 500L, now looking for a new front grill for the Selecta.

There seems to be various designs, are they all interchangeable?.

Following a small coming together with the back of a 500L, now looking for a new front grill for the Selecta.

There seems to be various designs, are they all interchangeable?.

Sad news :(

The later grill with the thicker surround has different mountings, it can be modified and will fit but not sure if you'd want to have the mess about!

Attachments

• IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    599.7 KB · Views: 21
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back