Technical Selecta wiring diagrams

Currently reading:
Technical Selecta wiring diagrams

porta

Prominent member
Right, I’m going to finally get the panda selecta ready for sale. It’s been sat by the barn far too long, I’m never going to get the 4x4 bits on it as intended and it’s going in all the usual places…however, last time I moved it, it started up first time and went smoothly up the track, this time (checked engine turned by hand) no fuel and no ignition but I got starter to spin, mice/rats/voles have obviously been having a ‘field day’ in there so need a selecta wiring diagram…I have older panda manuals but not supplement for the 1100ie and it just doesn’t come up on a search, anyone assist?

hey there, now i dont know much about the selecta but i have a feeling its pretty much going to be the same as all other fiats with the FIRE engine of this era.
these have 2 types of ignition system from what i know.. the best way to tell them apart is if you have a distributor or not. thankfully i am pretty clued up on both systems.

without the distributor (twin coil pack Magneti Marelli ECU type):

simple stuff first, check for a spark. if we have that we can rule out the ECU not working. however if it has no spark we need to find out why.. i would start by checking if the ECU is getting both battery live and "ignition key" live

theres a possibility that the main power cable for the ECU could be at fault. its the thicker red wire going into the ECU. thats a battery/constant live. if you have that next you are looking for an orange wire going to the ECU, all orange wires on early 90s fiats are ignition lives.
an earth fault is possible, but as i remember the earths are always quite good on the ECU side of fiats... compared to things like the lighting.

if they all appear to be good, check to see if the wiring on the crank position sensor is ok. its located near the oil pressure switch on the crank pully for the alternator belt. its not common the sensor fails, but its nice to have a spare.

theres 2 relays under a plastic cover somewhere in the engine bay. sometimes pink, sometimes purple and i have seen blue ones. i have a feeling they are near the ECU/battery sounds daft but swap them around. they are both 5 pin relays and for testing can be swapped out with any other 5 pin replay from the fuse box.
ahh yeah and checking fuses is all well and good but if you do find one blown, its blown for a reason. i dont know which fuse would be the one but at a guess its going to be the one in the corner labelled "Servize" or something like that. (its been a few years)

check if you can hear the fuel pump priming. note if the ecu has power issues it wont prime as the pump is driven via one of those pink relays from the ECU.

with Distributor (Bosch ECU type)

this is pretty simple, this ecu has no crank position sensors or anything fancy. it just uses the original carburettor ignition system to detect when a spark is produced and fires off the fuel injector. its ugly and unrefined but it does work. it will have a little ignition module on the back of the distributor. this thing is prone to failure, its happened to me. sadly theres no work around for these only finding a spare or wiring in another from something else. its all part of the "point less" ignition system where it does not have a spark gap/points. sadly because it uses heat sensitive semi-conductors bolted to a hot engine, they do fail over time. (just why when you have a nice cold inner wing would you bolt it to a hot engine component?!)
if you need a wiring diagram for that module, i did make one and can post it. it has been posted to a few threads in the past.
if i remember right, the ECU gets its live from the ignition coil directly (as its on an ignition live) if the coil has no live when the key is turned on, thats the fault.

again check the fuel pump is working.. you should be able to hear it. its alright for you two wheel drive panda owners, you can get access to in tank fuel pumps from under the back seat. us 4x4 guys have to drop the fuel tank! not many (if any!) panda 4x4s in the UK with fuel injection mind.

theres not much else that can go wrong with that bosch system. the throttle body idle air valve can act up but it will still run.
i dont think that Pandas ever came with an immobiliser fitted in the UK even in the latest 1995 models.

hope this has been just a bit helpful.. sorry for the late reply.

hey there, now i dont know much about the selecta but i have a feeling its pretty much going to be the same as all other fiats with the FIRE engine of this era.
these have 2 types of ignition system from what i know.. the best way to tell them apart is if you have a distributor or not. thankfully i am pretty clued up on both systems.

without the distributor (twin coil pack Magneti Marelli ECU type):

simple stuff first, check for a spark. if we have that we can rule out the ECU not working. however if it has no spark we need to find out why.. i would start by checking if the ECU is getting both battery live and "ignition key" live

theres a possibility that the main power cable for the ECU could be at fault. its the thicker red wire going into the ECU. thats a battery/constant live. if you have that next you are looking for an orange wire going to the ECU, all orange wires on early 90s fiats are ignition lives.
an earth fault is possible, but as i remember the earths are always quite good on the ECU side of fiats... compared to things like the lighting.

if they all appear to be good, check to see if the wiring on the crank position sensor is ok. its located near the oil pressure switch on the crank pully for the alternator belt. its not common the sensor fails, but its nice to have a spare.

theres 2 relays under a plastic cover somewhere in the engine bay. sometimes pink, sometimes purple and i have seen blue ones. i have a feeling they are near the ECU/battery sounds daft but swap them around. they are both 5 pin relays and for testing can be swapped out with any other 5 pin replay from the fuse box.
ahh yeah and checking fuses is all well and good but if you do find one blown, its blown for a reason. i dont know which fuse would be the one but at a guess its going to be the one in the corner labelled "Servize" or something like that. (its been a few years)

check if you can hear the fuel pump priming. note if the ecu has power issues it wont prime as the pump is driven via one of those pink relays from the ECU.

with Distributor (Bosch ECU type)

this is pretty simple, this ecu has no crank position sensors or anything fancy. it just uses the original carburettor ignition system to detect when a spark is produced and fires off the fuel injector. its ugly and unrefined but it does work. it will have a little ignition module on the back of the distributor. this thing is prone to failure, its happened to me. sadly theres no work around for these only finding a spare or wiring in another from something else. its all part of the "point less" ignition system where it does not have a spark gap/points. sadly because it uses heat sensitive semi-conductors bolted to a hot engine, they do fail over time. (just why when you have a nice cold inner wing would you bolt it to a hot engine component?!)
if you need a wiring diagram for that module, i did make one and can post it. it has been posted to a few threads in the past.
if i remember right, the ECU gets its live from the ignition coil directly (as its on an ignition live) if the coil has no live when the key is turned on, thats the fault.

again check the fuel pump is working.. you should be able to hear it. its alright for you two wheel drive panda owners, you can get access to in tank fuel pumps from under the back seat. us 4x4 guys have to drop the fuel tank! not many (if any!) panda 4x4s in the UK with fuel injection mind.

theres not much else that can go wrong with that bosch system. the throttle body idle air valve can act up but it will still run.
i dont think that Pandas ever came with an immobiliser fitted in the UK even in the latest 1995 models.

hope this has been just a bit helpful.. sorry for the late reply.
Cheers… the wiring isn’t the same as standard 999, what with the SPI system and being auto. I’ve wiring diagrams for the standard fire but not the selecta and theirs definitely differences. I’ve checked and there’s no feed to pump or ignition.
The issue is that mice/rats/voles have chewed through the wiring at the back of the battery, along the heater box and god knows where else…in true Fiat style there are the usual black and black with various colour stripes and multiple pink and red wires, also with or without stripes.
I’m not averse to my AVO meter, to check for breaks/continuity, but a wiring diagram would help enormously in ascertaining common connector blocks, and the parts they serve, for identification of associated locations and also cutting in half the locations of break and halving again.

I’ve attached a copy of wiring diagram for automatic transmission control system for a Selecta and key. I’m not sure if this is what you’re after, but I found it in the manual in the boot of my Selecta. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 712F5458-0A30-45A7-8934-A5C9E6AAC3D9.jpeg
    712F5458-0A30-45A7-8934-A5C9E6AAC3D9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 325FFCB9-436C-424A-BC08-09889FC36E25.jpeg
    325FFCB9-436C-424A-BC08-09889FC36E25.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 86
  • 12974684-FB3A-44A9-8B2B-8E2A7CF70100.jpeg
    12974684-FB3A-44A9-8B2B-8E2A7CF70100.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 118
I’ve attached a copy of wiring diagram for automatic transmission control system for a Selecta and key. I’m not sure if this is what you’re after, but I found it in the manual in the boot of my Selecta. Hope it helps.
Excellent, Cheersmidears

Back