Technical seized engine in 6 months?

Currently reading:
Technical seized engine in 6 months?

so i sold complete 8v engine with head, belts, sump..., i was driving with the car 6 months ago then engine was removed and put in storage
buyer calls me that engine doesnt turn over- seized, doesnt start, prior to selling him the engine, i took size 13 spanner and turned engine on crank shaft bolt and it was moving

what are the chances that engine seized from a working car in 6 months?

so i sold complete 8v engine with head, belts, sump..., i was driving with the car 6 months ago then engine was removed and put in storage
buyer calls me that engine doesnt turn over- seized, doesnt start, prior to selling him the engine, i took size 13 spanner and turned engine on crank shaft bolt and it was moving

my guess would be.....he put the engine in the car...started it to make sure it ran BEFORE refitting all that extra stuff like radiator full of coolant etc.....and ended up cooking it

So who has stored it for 6 months, you before selling it, or him before using it?

When an engine is stopped, some valves will be open. An engine on its own should have the inlet and exhaust ports covered, masking tape works well, to prevent damp air getting in. Before removal, it is also a good idea to squirt oil into the bores, then turn it over by hand, then seal the ports.

If the buyer has stored it in damp conditions, with the ports unsealed, some or all of the bores are likely to be rusty. This may prevent the engine from turning over, but more likely just make it tight until the rust is scraped off, creating a lot of wear to the piston rings and bores as it does so.

Next question, did he try to turn the engine over with a spanner, before fitting it? Or has it been fitted first, then won't turn? If the clutch or gearbox have been fitted incorrectly, that may prevent the engine from turning.

As a private seller, you have no obligation to the buyer - his risk. Tell him to get stuffed. Although, as a fellow Fiat owner, the above might be more helpful first.

i have stored it for 6 months, and i turned it over infront of the buyer before selling it and nothing was seized, i know i have no obligation to the buyer but i never sold defective part, i told him in the start if it wont work i wont give him money back but he will get another engine
he said everything was fitted correctly

Extremely low. These motors are tough as old boots.
Could be a bit of miscommunication here. Doesn't turn over, seized and doesn't start are three different things. Which is it ?
Has he put a spanner on the crank ?

he said when he is turning engine over by hand on crank it spins but he can hear stuff rubbing inside but when he tries to start it on key there is nothing, doesnt spin and he told me its like when you try to start car on dead battery

That eliminates seized.
Is the starter solenoid engaging, lights dimming when cranking attempted, the usual stuff.
If it sounds like a dead battery it could be a dead battery :)
Tbh sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing and it's your fault.

Sounds more like the way he's fitted it than any problem with the engine.

If it turns over by hand or very slowly on the starter then it's not seized simple as!

Other than that it's not worth your while getting involved or analysing his problems, you just open yourself up to having to replace an engine there is nothing wrong with

Shame nobody near him could check it out for you?

tbh i would expect to be grunting with a spanner to turn it over - compression is strong

I'd be using a decent long ratchet or mini breaker bar and some weight to turn it over :)

Also - personally i'd of lobbed some diesel / oil mix into the cylinder bores as well while turning it over - to lube it up

Also i hope he's got Coils disconnected before starting it properly to prevent excess speed killing bearings while oil pressure builds up again....

Ziggy

Shame nobody near him could check it out for you?

tbh i would expect to be grunting with a spanner to turn it over - compression is strong

I'd be using a decent long ratchet or mini breaker bar and some weight to turn it over :)

Also - personally i'd of lobbed some diesel / oil mix into the cylinder bores as well while turning it over - to lube it up

Also i hope he's got Coils disconnected before starting it properly to prevent excess speed killing bearings while oil pressure builds up again....

Ziggy

they have put in diesel in the morning today and it started in the afternoon
not a scam afterall

Back