Technical HGT Alternator access (seized)

Currently reading:
Technical HGT Alternator access (seized)

sHAYM4N

My lovely high maintenance diva of HGT (MK2B) was booked in for a subframe replacement and rear shocks today, but having been sat for a couple of weeks alternator has seized this morning. Drama smoke and smell though the belt didnt snap as yet (luckily)

Couldn't get it to the garage and have had to rebook in for later next month. Ideally would like to get it going though as being sat at this time of year is only going to cause more problems. Was going to try and unseize it myself (as I thought it was at the front) but seems looking now its buried behind the wheel arch?

Anyone know the best/easy way to get at it? It did seize last year as well, and it managed to free itself after a couple of turnovers, but seems worse this time and dont really want to risk pushing it too hard before giving it a bit of "persuasion".

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• naread9.png
    naread9.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 62
Just a thought, if doesn't turn the waterpump and battery fully charged and only a short distance to garage and maybe a battery jumpack for emergencies providing it is the type with a battery, not the little toy impulse/capacitor types ones, I have driven cars with the wires to the battery from a jump pack through a passenger window;). Obviously with the bonnet on the first catch and not fast. It may be a problem for electric power steering, but if not then release the auto tensioner or prise the belt off, drive to garage and ask them to put battery on charge whilst it is there. It may also be easier for them to fit your alternator when on ramp.
Surely no different to a snapped fan belt as long as battery charged up enough.:)

Just a thought, if doesn't turn the waterpump and battery fully charged and only a short distance to garage and maybe a battery jumpack for emergencies providing it is the type with a battery, not the little toy impulse/capacitor types ones, I have driven cars with the wires to the battery from a jump pack through a passenger window;). Obviously with the bonnet on the first catch and not fast. It may be a problem for electric power steering, but if not then release the auto tensioner or prise the belt off, drive to garage and ask them to put battery on charge whilst it is there. It may also be easier for them to fit your alternator when on ramp.
Surely no different to a snapped fan belt as long as battery charged up enough.:)
Thanks yeah, it actually went on me completely around 4 years ago, snapped so had to drive it there for a new one without the belt. A different garage, they fit a new alternator but it hasn't lasted well (& never sounded great when I got it back tbh - should have taken it back in)

Like you say just no power steering which was fun. Getting it to the garage isnt just the reason I want it ticking over though, more so that nothing else seizes or gets worse until then (because he cant fit it in now until the 24th Oct). Cant take it on long trips with a crack in the rear shock right now but been doing short easy trips just for the sake of the engine since it was booked in. Front subframe has a hole that probably wouldn't get it past the next MOT so its more pre-emptive work on that getting it completely replaced.

I have roadside and would just try that to get it to the garage day before if necessary, but if I take the belt off then its not really doable to keep it going. Unfortunately this time of year I have to take it on a drive at least every couple of weeks or something else just seems to seize on it 😭

Back