Technical Seicento losing water??

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento losing water??

Nick9195

Bought the car a month ago and had no problems. Warning light came on over the weekend to say the engine coolant was overheating. Turns out all the water had been lost. Initially thought it was the head gasket but there is no mayonnaise in the oil. My grandad flushed the pipes out and filled the radiator to max with coolant and water. After driving for several hours all this has now been lost but there is no visible leaks and all pipes seem to be attached properly. Any ideas please?!?!
:bang:

I had similar problem. Turned out to be the coolant bottle had cracked.

Best run the car when still and keep a look out for drips/steam to help locate the leek.

Just be aware that a leak could be a symptom of anotger issue...

Ok I'll check the coolant bottle but can't see any drips on the floor. It only loses water while driving or at least while the engines running.

Hi nick, im new to this so you will have to bear with me, i previously worked at a fiat dealership for close on 10 years, it was pretty common for head gasket to leak on the fire engines, im not sayin for certain but just to make you aware, easiest way is if you know is if u can get your hands on a block tester to check for HCs coming from coolant tank, and if it is i wouldnt panic, its not a big job on that engine

Do you have a slight misfire on start up in the mornings?? if so usually a good sign hg is on its way out:mad: but as previously stated easy job to so on these engines (y)(y)

Engine runs fine and haven't noticed any misfires. Yes my grandad bled it and totally flushed the system. Just really hoping its not head gasket as we've been quoted £400 to repair.

Engine runs fine and haven't noticed any misfires. Yes my grandad bled it and totally flushed the system. Just really hoping its not head gasket as we've been quoted £400 to repair.

Way over the top :eek::eek: even by london prices(y) Ideally you shouldnt be looking at more than £250 and thats with the water pump being changed and head skim
Have a look at the guides section and get your sleeves rolled up its not a hard job at all or depending on where you are there maybe a friendly ff member willing to help out (y)

Haha well as a full time student £250 is still a stretch unfortunately. Even if there's no mayonnaise in the oil could it still be the head gasket?

Not 100% sure where the heater matrix is on these cars, but check your carpets. Are they wet?

Also run the engine with the coolant cap off. Can you see bubbles?

I'm with rallycinq on this.. It far to early to start changing the HG at the mo, we have no idea what the real issue is yet - Yes the HG could be at fault but lets try confirm it first.

refill it and bleed again, there is 2 bleed screws on a seicento as well. Do the one near the headlight first, then the one on the bulkhead. Let it warm up and bleed it again.

Also do a compression test, record results and post up here. Its a very simple procedure and a cheap tester is all you require, one like Draper 37442 Compression Tester (14X18mm): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools.

Last edited:
I had similar problem. Turned out to be the coolant bottle had cracked.

Best run the car when still and keep a look out for drips/steam to help locate the leek.

Just be aware that a leak could be a symptom of anotger issue...

Hi wayne did your car work ok once you changed the bottle my seicento is also losing water even when the car is switched off its actually bone dry the fan heater is working though but I see the water dripping by my timing chain. Where was your water leaking from? Best kaylene

Back