ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1397150487.767805.jpg

Seicento Seicento Autosolo/Rally car

Introduction

Hello,

I've had dalliances with Fiat cars in the past, a Panda 45, and an Uno 45 but it's been a while since one graced my driveway. A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a cheap and cheerful car to replace my MX5 and Ebay/Autotrader lead me to this little gem.

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1397150487.767805.jpg

It was cheap (although not cheap enough) but that was because its head gaskets gone. I'm in the middle of changing that now, and what an absolute sod of a job! It's the newest car I've ever owned and I'll be honest I was expecting it to be a lot simpler than it is. Am I an idiot, or is it virtually impossible to get the manifold/cat off it without taking the radiator out?

I'm just at the stage of waiting for the postman to bring me a new gasket set and I'll get it back together, hopefully. Is there anything I need to know?

I haven't got a manual for it, I can't seem to find a Haynes for it, only the Cinq, is it likely to be relevant or does the Seicento with all its MPI and electronics bear little resemblance to its predecessor?

I'm hoping to have it running again Saturday evening, then order up some springs for it and get the suspension sorted out.

Here it is as it sits outside my work tonight. It's a little bit tatty I must admit but it'd be a shame to buy a mint one to throw at hedgerows and cones when out competing...

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1397151256.820311.jpg
I haven't done one with a mani-cat, (and normally for ease of access on cinq, i remove the rad anyway, it's a quick job) but i'd try taking the inlet off, then go about unbolting exhaust mani.

Then i'd undo the headbolts, pull the head off gently then push it back towards where the inlet was, the exhaust man-cat should pop off the studs no bother and remain in place :)

The problem was getting to the lower exhaust manifold nuts, I got them by dropping the rad down a bit and poking a long extension through the gap. Seemed like a convoluted way of doing things but I can't see any easier way..,

It's back together now, having spent all afternoon in the workshop. Seems to all be working too. I noticed the fan was seized so wondering if that was part of the cause of the overheating and HG problems. Just need to give it a service now and I can start using it.

I need a spare set of wheels and tyres if there's anybody out there with anything? A matching set ideally, but I'm indifferent as to size or whether they're alloy/steels.

Why not just take the rad out? coolant should be drained anyway for an Hg job and it's only a couple of pipes, a plug and a couple of bolts iirc, it's a 5 minute job once the bumper is off and coolant's drained!

Finally got the Sei taxed and on the road on Thursday night, absolutely love it! No issues with overheating or head gasket so it looks like I did that right (hopefully).

It's due it's MOT in a month or so and I reckon it'll want a wheel bearing and a few other bits, but hopefully it'll be fairly painless.

I've got to put a set of tyres on it, but I intend on keep the two better tyres for racing (so I don't wreck my new ones) which means buying a couple of spare steel wheels, my local scrapyard didn't have any cinq/Sei wheels, but are they basically the same as uno/Punto 13" wheels? It's the offset I'm not sure on. Just opens up my possibilities a bit if they are.

Also, I bought a set of PI lowering springs for it, the rears appear to be a dual rate spring, does it matter which way up they go?

I've got it booked in for its first autosolo in a couple of weeks. I'm well excited about giving it some hooning!

Magic, thanks. I couldn't see a logical or obvious reason to install them one way over another so I'm glad I asked. I'm certain the fan was seized when I dropped the rad out of it, sitting in traffic today it now appears to work as it should so hopefully that's the end of that.

I've only done one but they're brilliant fun and you don't need anything other than a road legal car. The rules are generally pretty open and there are classes for almost every car anyway. The courses are set out in large car parks or runways with cones so there's little chance of doing any damage to your car. You get about 12 runs per event and a run usually takes just over a minute. Autosolos generally cost between £25-£40, you don't need a license only membership of a motor club which cost me £20 a year.

I'd recommend them, it's cheap harmless fun with a competitive element.

I'd also recommend 12car rallies, they cost about £30 to enter and involve a driver and a navigator in any car you want really, 60miles and two hours of narrow lanes all at night working from an OS map. Really frantic stuff and really gets the grey matter going!

Have a google for '12car capers' and there's a good explanation on there.

The closest thing I can compare them to is doing the Times crossword at speed in the dark.

Back