Technical Sei Engine Management Light

Currently reading:
Technical Sei Engine Management Light

stephensdg

Failed the MOT on emissions, mechanic suggested the CAT had failed as the amount of fuel going through the was excessive (I think the HC was 12% when it should have been 0.2%?!?) - Anyhow I got a second hand CAT complete with the Lambda Sensors which he fitted; the car then sailed through the emissions retest.

The problem is now the engine management light is on (solid not flashing). Could this be a hangover from the previous problem? The mechanic fobbed me off with saying that it needs to be plugged in to be cancelled (I didn't know better at the time!) and it was on because he'd been working on it!

Anyone shed some light? :worship:

Anyone shed some light? :worship:

Pun intended, or happy accident? ;)

The only way to be 100% certain of why the light is on is to get the codes read, but other than the light being on, is the car actually presenting any symptoms? ie. lumpy idle, low MPG, etc

Edit: Also, what year is your car and - using the FAQ's here - can you tell if it's SPI or MPI?

Last edited:
Thanks again Eklipze.

Its a 2001 Sei Sporting and I think I found out recently that it's an MPI.
There are no other symptoms, the car drives beautifully.
I've ordered a Maxiscan MS309 so I am hoping that I will be able to read the codes and turn the light off. (y)

....Edit: Also, what year is your car and - using the FAQ's here - can you tell if it's SPI or MPI?
Err :confused: Wouldn't it still be a 2001 MPI as per his other thread you responded to 49min ago?
stephensdg :OBD2 code readers can be picked up cheaply, they can't reset airbag faults but they can reset ECU faults & give you some clue as to what it's complaining about. In the meantime to clear the fault code you can disconnect the battery for a few hours.

edit: timing is everything :doh:

Last edited:
Thanks Ouby.

I totally forgot that I'd posted the model in my previous thread lol :eek:

Eklipze has no excuse! :rolleyes:

Well, if the thing you replaced is indeed only the CAT with lambdas and nothing already in the car got "injured" then I foresee two possible problems - the CAT being worn out and ECU seeing this through the second lambda readings, or a heater on one or two lambdas gone, these ECUs check them too. Alternatively, the second lambda itself gone - these have little (but some) infulence on the emissions, so it would still pass and run fine. But, you really ought to treat it with a code reader before you start playing the guessing game (y)

Cheers woj looks like you were right. The code reader found one error code: P0141. I've got a spare lambda so I'll try and replace the post CAT sensor when I get the chance.

That's the lambda heater, not the lambda itself, neglectable IMO. First check that connection is sound and OK.

Cheers woj.

Before the CAT / Lambda's were changed there was no ECU light / Error Code so I imagine it is the Lambda (heater) itself that is the problem. I'm not big on electrics so I'll swap it over and keep my fingers crossed.

Looks like the bar steward that changed the CAT for me ripped out the Manifold Heat Shield!

Anyone know if that might cause problems? :confused:

Forgot to mention....the lambda connection seems sound!

Back