DSCI2132.JPG

Panda (Classic) SEAT Marbella (Mk1 Panda replica).

What's the problem here - do you need a MK1 Panda 4x4 bell housing or a 4x4 Delta gearbox? I have access to both:)

Hi Andy,

Well perhaps something else can be done. The Lancia Y10 block bolt pattern is different to both FIRE and Mk1 which is lame. So an adaptor plate is required if attaching 4x4 gearbox to Y10 turbo engine.

Can the bell housing be modified do you think? Maybe the Y10 Stud pattern could be cut off and welded (?) onto the FIRE 4x4 bell housing?

Think adaptor plate is the traditionally accepted method though...

All of those sound possible - maybe apart from the welding two together option.

So is the Y10 turbo engine the same as the Uno turbo?

What sort of main case does the bell housing attach to?

It is the same as the Fiat 127 Sport engine with turbo (and lower compression I think). So different block to the Uno T.

The main case of the gearbox is pretty much same as mk2 Panda I think...

Here is example of flange/ apaptor for f126 gearbox to FIRE. Not that complicated as I was expecting.
any chance for photos of both meeting halfs.
I'll try to check what's available on German market.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Here is example of flange/ apaptor for f126 gearbox to FIRE. Not that complicated as I was expecting.

Yeah should be fairly simple...my concern is getting the measurements accurate enough so clutch and output shaft line up well. I lost the little locating lug and with just 1 mm of movement on the bolt hole position the clutch made a sort of nasty scuffing noise as it engaged...and probably has worn the clutch plate down quite rapidly (awaiting inspection! :eek:)

But this will be the most likely method, will be taking measurements soon and then finding a local firm to make it...I have a potential lined up who cuts sheet metal...not sure what thickness' they go up to though...

I'll probably be targeting 10mm thick aluminium unless I hear screams from anyone on the idea (I am not running stress analysis on this :p). But it might have to be thicker to accommodate recessed bolt heads and things...

It is the same as the Fiat 127 Sport engine with turbo (and lower compression I think). So different block to the Uno T.

The main case of the gearbox is pretty much same as mk2 Panda I think...

I was going to say that the 1050 engine was used in the 127 and that the 127 uses the same C504 gearbox as the Panda. A shame that the 4x4 take off is part of the bell housing casting, a hybrid box might have been possible if that wasn't the case.

I was going to say that the 1050 engine was used in the 127 and that the 127 uses the same C504 gearbox as the Panda. A shame that the 4x4 take off is part of the bell housing casting, a hybrid box might have been possible if that wasn't the case.

Yeah it's a bummer. Reckon the adaptor plate is probably the only way but really open to ideas at the moment. I even thought about fitting a 4wd system from a random small jap car or something but think for this project I want to keep it in the Panda family...also want to test the theory about whether the 4x4 running gear can take the punishment! :devil:

Yeah it's a bummer. Reckon the adaptor plate is probably the only way but really open to ideas at the moment. I even thought about fitting a 4wd system from a random small jap car or something but think for this project I want to keep it in the Panda family...also want to test the theory about whether the 4x4 running gear can take the punishment! :devil:

Yes, an adaptor plate is going to be the most likely way, one problem I could foresee is that the gearbox input shaft would be too short?

I'll be interested to see how much punishment it could take also, the Y10 box can take the power and the Panda box is basically the same, I suppose the front diff if likely to explode first since that will have most stress when running in 4WD at full chat.

For the next project:eek: If I source the Integrale engine and running gear, what would be the smallest shell we could fit it into..?

Maybe Punto?

I don't need much convincing on anything like this...

But because of the Yintegrale (Y10 +Integrale) that this chap Trevor put together I think we'd have to raise the bar (or make the car smaller)...
https://www.fiatforum.com/non-fiat/174862-lancia-y10-integrale.html

How about a Fiat Int26...if you catch my drift? :devil:

Last edited:
Might've hit a snag on fitting the 4x4 gearbox to the Y10 turbo engine...starter motor does not fit...block is wider so the Y10 one has the starter mounted much further out. Or are their kit car / universal and adaptable starter motor set-ups anyone knows of?

The FIRE turbo option is looking a whole lot more sensible for a 4wd conversion...

Time for some tea and meditation...

:chin:...:spin:

ok contemplation brew has mildly calmed down my mind...

I think it comes down to not just an adaptor plate, but also I will need to cut the FIRE 4x4 gearbox bell housing away to allow the starter motor to be fitted where it is on the Y10 bell housing...so now I can proceed with measurement and mock up of adaptor plate :D

I am going to use sheet aluminium which is easy to cut into a template and mark up with all relevant bolt hole positions (y10 and Fire positions)...then make a drawing and send off for manufacture :slayer:

Simple as that :eek:

Last edited:
So here are the differences between FIRE bolt pattern and Y10 pattern (left FIRE 4x4, right Y10 turbo 2wd):

WP_20170129_15_23_02_Pro.jpg

One confusing thing...the bottom edge of the bell housing I think should be horizontal with the car. The top edge is normally also horizontal on both my mk1 and the Y10 turbo. Can anyone confirm that the top of the bell housing is not horizontal but is sloped on their FIRE Pandas? :D

I will need to check the prop shaft exit angle is right anyway, but thought I should check if I'm thinking right...

Back