Technical Searching the correct brake caliper carrier part number

Currently reading:
Technical Searching the correct brake caliper carrier part number

Hello to all,

can somebody give me the partnumber(s) - I don´t know if there is a difference between left and right - for the front brake caliper carriers of a Doblo (February 2005) 1.3JTD 16V (51kW/70hp) with vented discs diameter 257.5mm, a thickness of 20mm (51749124) and Bosch calipers (77364685 left / 77364683 right).

https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/de/catalogue/fiat-doblo-mpv-119-223-1-3-jtd-16v/000058735-1

Thanks in advance!

best regards

Oli
Hi ,
I am confident the pad carrier frame is identical on both sides.

Your best option to find the part is from a vehicle dismantler.

Or ebay.

Good luck
Jack

Ok I think I've worked it out.

Brembo cat doesn't show a 284mm diameter disc for that doblo
But does show a pad suitable for 284mm discs

I am confident that the 284mm disc is 22mm thick so needs pads for 284mm disc which are slightly thicker than pads for the smaller diameter disc.

Do not mix up pads designed for the different diameter discs , this should be impossible but strange things happen.

For 257mm disc you must have calipers for 257mm , pad/caliper carrier for 257mm and pads for 257mm

For 284mm disc the pads , pad carrier and calipers must all be for the 284mm disc.

Do not mix up the parts.

Last edited:
Hi Jack,

I see now, I have you to tell the whole story. I want to do a brake conversion to my Fiat 500C 1.2. It´s equipped with vented 240x20mm discs and Bosch calipers. I know that for example the 1.4 16v is equipped with bigger brakes, it´s is using a disc with 257.5x22mm, but this disc I do not want.
It´s due to my wheels. I use Mangels steel wheels in 7x14 et25 and they have a quite flat rim dish.
Whith worn pads and 5mm spacers (more is not possible, otherwise they might rub) it just works that way, but now I have to change pads and also the discs, and I´m sure there will be contact between caliper and wheel dish...
So when I do the conversion with the 500 1.4 discs, the caliper moves not only 8,5mm in radial direction, but also 2mm towards the rim disk (40.5mm-22mm=18.5mm). With the Doblo discs it stays the same as with the my original disks, but as the wheel disc is angled, the clearance increases.
And according to the Brembo catalogue https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en , both Vehicles use the same calipers, so that there should be a carrier that fits perfektly for that.

I hope you understand now...

Attachments

• 500_1_2_240x20.jpg
    500_1_2_240x20.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 500_1_4_16v_257x22.jpg
    500_1_4_16v_257x22.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 24
  • doblo_257x20.jpg
    doblo_257x20.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 2019_3.jpg
    2019_3.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hi Jack,

I see now, I have you to tell the whole story. I want to do a brake conversion to my Fiat 500C 1.2. It´s equipped with vented 240x20mm discs and Bosch calipers. I know that for example the 1.4 16v is equipped with bigger brakes, it´s is using a disc with 257.5x22mm, but this disc I do not want.
It´s due to my wheels. I use Mangels steel wheels in 7x14 et25 and they have a quite flat rim dish.
Whith worn pads and 5mm spacers (more is not possible, otherwise they might rub) it just works that way, but now I have to change pads and also the discs, and I´m sure there will be contact between caliper and wheel dish...
So when I do the conversion with the 500 1.4 discs, the caliper moves not only 8,5mm in radial direction, but also 2mm towards the rim disk (40.5mm-22mm=18.5mm). With the Doblo discs it stays the same as with the my original disks, but as the wheel disc is angled, the clearance increases.
And according to the Brembo catalogue https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en , both Vehicles use the same calipers, so that there should be a carrier that fit´s perfekt for that.

I hope you understand now...
Ok I think I understand what you are trying to do.

The bolting points for the pad carrier change between hub knuckles.

If you really want to change things,The only thing you can sensibly try is pad carriers from the doblo you are think of using discs from. If it works it works!

The easy option is get the correct discs and pads and then sand down the two outer pad friction material so your wheels fit safely .

Write down what parts end up being used so if you sell car next owner doesn't have a nightmare.

Yes maybe you are right with your option 2...

I tried to find out something witht the Eper here, but I get allways stuck when I want to select the brakes, because then an error message appears....:(

Attachments

• eper_1.JPG
    eper_1.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 17
  • eper_2.JPG
    eper_2.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 15
Yes maybe you are right with your option 2...

I tried to find out something witht the Eper here, but I get allways stuck when I want to select the brakes, because then an error message appears....:(
Seriously it's not worth trying to find part numbers for pads carriers.
I spent ages with a working up to date version of the fiat parts system and it's nearly impossible to find the pad carriers in the drawings and even then there was no information about technical characteristics.
Then when I found the fiat part number and googled it nothing helpful came up.

If you search ebay for calipers for the car you want them off sometimes you get the pad carrier with the caliper. It's that or find them at a scrap yard.

Last edited:
Option two sand down new outer pads

When you sand down the pads put the sand paper on a flat surface , and rub the pads on the sand paper, that way the friction material will remain flat.

O.K. to finsh the story now... I spend the last night by searching in different supplier catalogues and in the end the information in the Brembo catalogue is wrong. The combination of the 257x20mm discs with Bosch calipers does simply not exist. Those discs were combined always with Girling or Teves calipers, but never with Bosch.
But the good thing is, I checked again my brakes and I saw, that it is not the caliper that is close to the rim disc, it is the bow of the carrier. And this keeps its position regardless of whether new pads were installed or not...
So sorry and thank you anyway for your advice Jack.

Last edited:
O.K. to finsh the story now... I spend the last night by searching in different supplier catalogues and in the end the information in the Brembo catalogue is wrong. The combination of the 257x20mm discs with Bosch calipers does simply not exist. Those discs were combined always with Girling or Teves discs, but never with Bosch.
But the good thing is, I checked again my brakes and I saw, that it is not the caliper that is close to the rim disc, it is the bow of the carrier. And this keeps its position regardless of whether new pads were installed or not...
So sorry and thank you anyway for your advice Jack.
Great news .
You don't have o fit Frankenstein's brake system (-:

Back