Technical Screeching sound when starting car up

Currently reading:
Technical Screeching sound when starting car up

Jack11211

Hiya guys
so basically a few days ago I started to get this issue with my fiat punto where it wouldn't start up the first time. It would make this horrible screeching sound and then the engine would cut. Sometimes it would do this 2-3 times before the engine would start.

While driving I have no warning lights and everything seems to be working perfectly fine.

I'm not much of a car fanatic but from my knowledge on cars, it is leading me to believe that it is something to do with the starter motor due to the sound. The only problem is i have watched a few youtube videos and the sounds they have with their starter motor faults are nothing like mine.:bang:

Any help would be massively appreciated and if you need a video along showing the sound i would be happy to attach one.

What model of GP do you have and has it been raining?

On some models water leaks from the scuttle drain straight onto the alternator (there's a modified drain to fix that), over time the alternator bearings decay and the belt can screech.

Also what condition is your battery in?

From what the OP said it's clearly not coming from the alternator (engine finally start after 2-3 tries).

It looks to me like worn teeth either on the flywheel or on the starter pinion, even maybe both … Need to remove the starter for visuel checking.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Back