General Schumacher gp pro edition

Currently reading:
General Schumacher gp pro edition

schumigirl

Hi I wondered if anyone could help I have a fiat stilo schumacher edition. It seems to be drinking oil I have done 400 miles since it was last serviced and had a complete oil change on the 20th July. I have had to top it up twice since then. Is this normal? Also they couldn't change one of the filters so i have no air-conditioning working as he apparently couldn't find where to change it. Does anyone know of a fiat garage in Kent that I could go to.

Might sound strange, but the dipstick on the Schumi can be difficult to read reliably. To check the oil level:

1) you must be on level ground
2) you need to wait 5 mins or so after switching off before checking the level and
3) take two or three readings to establish the correct level.

It is easy to be fooled into thinking the level is lower than it actually is, and you end up topping up the oil unnecessarily and think you're burning oil when you're not.

Hi
I have checked the level numerous amount of times when the engine is cold and on level ground and it still gives the same reading until I top it up.
The display on the dash also states low oi aswell. But I don't think that using the amount of oil is possible unless there's a leak which I can't find anywhere.

Is it ticking at all? Mine was drinking loads of oil just before the bottom end went. It sounded a little like there was a loose heat shield rattling, just before it blew... In the middle of Germany haha.

Is the inside of the exhaust particularly sooty?

You could have ring wear or it could be worn valve guide seals.. but in either case you would notice the burnt oil (by smell or by extra soot around and in the exhaust).

There's no simple fix for either but some "gasket restorer" treatments can give the valve stem seals a bit of a perking up, if they (or one of them) are the problem.

If you're losing that much oil it's unlikely to be an oil leak (you'd see spots under the car).

Ralf S.

Back