Saw someone get run over today.

Currently reading:
Saw someone get run over today.

Still in shock now, its the first time I've ever seen someone get hit by a car.

I was on the way to work this evening at 5.50 so dark already, I was going down this road and I could see a cyclist on the other side of the road waiting to cross into another road on her right. Then I see a white citreon van come up the road quite quick and I just knew what was going to come, he hit the girl on the bike from behind and she hit the windscreen and went right over the back of the van and the bike went under, the girl was conscious but couldn't move, everyone was phoning 999 but luckily police in a riot van were just around the corner, I hope she is alright I had to quickly get to work but the police took my name and address, I saw it all and I hope they contact me.

Mate, that is awful. Hope you're OK - seeing something like that can be really hard to deal with. Of course, I hope the cyclist is OK too. Keep us updated if you hear anything.

A few years back I saw a motorcyclist get knocked off his bike while doing about 40 by a car that pulled out infront of his path.

They say "in this situation you should do this" but in reality, if you witness it and not just appear at the scene later on, you're in as much shock as anyone else.

I hope both you and her are ok.

awful mate. its scary seeing someone get hit at 30 I just cannot understand why people speed in built up areas. I saw the aftermath of a drunk woman being hit by an hgv on the a90...just body parts and chunks of flesh, and the csis had put little number stand things to mark each bit. there was loads of them. v sad.

Its Not that nice to watch
Nore is it to be the driver that hits them

it'll always dent you a little way

Its all about thinking how YOU can help prevent that ever happening to you

drive at 28mph in a 30, instead of doing 30 for example
sure it wont stop a plonka or a kid just stepping out, but whats worse

You knocking a Child down and killing them?
or Knocking a child down - breaking there arm and a few dints on the car?

i know which one i would do!

The phrase is very true to life - time heals all wounds, but there will always be a mark where it was

Take it as a learning experience even if it wasn't you

Life will always throw a dagger at the apple, just make sure it dont hit you

Ziggy

When I was a teenager I was standing at a bus stop in the dark, in the rain, on a busy road. I had been to some event at school, but I can't remember what. A lad about my age walked in to the road and straight in to the path of a car. I didn't so much see it (it was very quick) but I heard it. The sound of somebody being hit by a car is horrible. The boy died at the spot.
To this day I am super careful driving or crossing the road in those conditions.
I hope the girl in question is ok, and the driver of the van called to account.

Can't believe the response I've had to this thread, I got to work 10-15mins late and the guy before me didn't seem to happy but he obviously didn't know how bad it was.

I saw a woman being hit by a car a few years back. Flipped up and over the car. Never knew what happened to her after the ambulance took her away.

Mate, that is awful. Hope you're OK - seeing something like that can be really hard to deal with. Of course, I hope the cyclist is OK too. Keep us updated if you hear anything.

Yeah Im fine now, I talked to a mate about it, it has effected me quite a bit but to see her talking was a relief, because I thought the worst straight away, I am very suprised she wasnt knocked out cold by it.

I was 3 cars behind the skip wagon that ran over and killed my sisters friends son.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-black-country-10921370

There was nothing anyone could do for the boy but some of the witnesses where in a terrible state.

I understand how you feel, its not something I'd want to see again.

This is awful, I felt I had it bad but theres people that have seen there loved ones and friends die right in front of them. :(

A few years back I saw a motorcyclist get knocked off his bike while doing about 40 by a car that pulled out infront of his path.

They say "in this situation you should do this" but in reality, if you witness it and not just appear at the scene later on, you're in as much shock as anyone else.

I hope both you and her are ok.

I really hope she is ok, I haven't heard anything from the police yet or anything in the newspaper.

If you go on a first aid, or motorsport marshaling course you'll be as well prepared for anything you see on the roads as is possible.

awful mate. its scary seeing someone get hit at 30 I just cannot understand why people speed in built up areas. I saw the aftermath of a drunk woman being hit by an hgv on the a90...just body parts and chunks of flesh, and the csis had put little number stand things to mark each bit. there was loads of them. v sad.

I just couldn't imagine myself ever working in the emergency services and seeing such things, I've heard really horrible storys from firefighters that I know that have been to RTC's were children had died and really has effected them for the rest of there lifes.

Its Not that nice to watch
Nore is it to be the driver that hits them

it'll always dent you a little way

Its all about thinking how YOU can help prevent that ever happening to you

drive at 28mph in a 30, instead of doing 30 for example
sure it wont stop a plonka or a kid just stepping out, but whats worse

You knocking a Child down and killing them?
or Knocking a child down - breaking there arm and a few dints on the car?

i know which one i would do!

The phrase is very true to life - time heals all wounds, but there will always be a mark where it was

Take it as a learning experience even if it wasn't you

Life will always throw a dagger at the apple, just make sure it dont hit you

Ziggy

There is always something to learn in life, I think this will change the way I drive as well.

When I was a teenager I was standing at a bus stop in the dark, in the rain, on a busy road. I had been to some event at school, but I can't remember what. A lad about my age walked in to the road and straight in to the path of a car. I didn't so much see it (it was very quick) but I heard it. The sound of somebody being hit by a car is horrible. The boy died at the spot.
To this day I am super careful driving or crossing the road in those conditions.
I hope the girl in question is ok, and the driver of the van called to account.

This is an awful story as well. I can't even imagine the feelings you felt afterwards :( .

I've been thinking what if I was nearer to her travelling the other way, she had landed on my side of the road. :(

Let's hope she's ok.....

I was traveling in the back of our Triumph Herald when I was about 7....My Dad was driving and my Granddad was in the passenger seat....We were driving along past some shops, doing about 25mph and this kid just ran straight out of the shops into our path.....

My Dad braked but it was too late....We hit him and sent him down the road....I was in shock and screaming 'We've killed him, we've killed him' and my Granddad stayed with me in the car while my Dad went to help the boy....The ambulance soon arrived and took him off to hospital. The Police arrived too and after speaking to witnesses they agreed that my Dad had no chance of avoiding him so after taking details we were free to go....

Well that wasn't easy as our Herald had the front end demolished and the flip-up bonnet was embedded in the front tyres! Eventually we got it going and went home....

That evening, my Dad went to the hospital to see how the boy was....He turned out to have a fractured finger and some bruising....Very lucky lad indeed.....

We on the other hand, had a big repair bill for the car and clear images that I still can see to this day....Over 30 years later!

Stay safe! (y)

i remember going past a fatal on the M1 in 2009 didnt look too bad initially then i realised there *was* a car between the 2 wagons. all 6 occupants sadly didn't make it 3 of which small childern. horrible feeling... to really kick me in the balls i had to prep the 'front' trailer, after it was repaired, for MOT 13 months later after the ministry signed it off there was still bits of said car in the chassis *shivvers*

Last edited:
That must have been awful for you to witness, even more awful for the girl having to go through such an ordeal! I hope she's well and the driver gets his commupance. :bang:

My other half once saw a guy lying (drunk) in the middle of a road when a car came along and ran his head over. Much like you, he saw what was coming. We think he survived, but as my boyfriend was the first to the scene he saw that his head had split open and could see bits of skull. Hopefully he was a lucky one and wasn't brain damaged/dead after the accident. That shook him up quite badly for a few days.

I used to think being a traffic cop would be a great job...not now.

The stuff they see (as has already been mentioned earlier) must be utterly horrifying.

Very true although you never get indifferent to it you do get used to it , I once spent a couple of days with a collision investigation unit and the things that they deal with on a daily basis are truly gruesome.

The worst was a head on between a car and an HGV where the car had an unrestrained child standing between the seats, the car stopped but the child carried on at 40mph through the windscreen and into the front of the lorry, I had to walk away, not because it was so gruesome but because I had an uncontrolable urge to punch the parents who had only minor injuries thanks to their seatbelts & airbags

Those parents have to live with that every day, and so they should.
There used to be a lot of emphasis and publicity given to the law with regard to belting up in the back seats, but that seems to have passed a lot of drivers by.

Parents give up when kids kick and scream..... maybe some chains and a padlock are the way forward to stopping kids letting themselves out

I do wonder why i often see sooo many people not wearing there belt....

people get a slap on the rist - and away they go

Time to get serious and get our laws sorted out

Ziggy

It's a horrible experience, I've seen quite a few RTAs in my line of work but the worst was about ten years ago when a commuter came off his scooter after hitting a speed hump at the wrong speed, he unfortunately went into opposing traffic and was very badly injured.
When I arrived in scene I was able to hold a conversation with him in an attempt to distract him from the pain and he was still talking when the LAS arrived and put him in the back of the ambulance.
Unfortunately he passed away while I was still holding his hand and talking to him.
He was brave beyond belief and I feel privileged to have spoken to him and given him reassurance before he passed away.
RIP.

Amanda at work's mini broke down, and her and her kid was getting a lift back of one of those double cab recovery trucks,

a biker came off full speed/full leathers in front of them and vaporised against the cab windscreen, they still have nightmares. Glad i dont bike anymore, came off as pillion at 70 hit a lamppost.

Last edited:
Back