SatNav News Thread

Currently reading:
SatNav News Thread

Re: Tom Tom "Car Connect"

The car industry really needs to set up some standards for input/output of AV, one day, maybe...

TomTom Piracy to halt!!

Turns out now tomtom owners wont simply be able to copy other peoples SD cards and put them in the tomtom, over the weekend i sold a tomtom one Europe and all of the mapping data was installed directly on to the unit, there wasn't even an SD card included. obviously i havn't had time to test whether you can copy/backup/restore maps back on to these units but you might find that transferring from the Flash on a TT unit may prove difficult.

Re: TomTom Piracy to halt!!

Well just not be buying that one if you cant upgrade the software, they might be shooting themselves in the foot, as it means if you cant upgade the maps etc then you basically need to buy a whole new unit, rather than just upgrading the software.

Well just not be buying that one if you cant upgrade the software, they might be shooting themselves in the foot, as it means if you cant upgade the maps etc then you basically need to buy a whole new unit, rather than just upgrading the software.
i doubt this will mean not being able to upgrade the maps, that would seem a little stupid...

Obviously updates would be done via the web on legit machines as currently TT say it's good practice to backup the card type units to your pc once a month.

Liam

Will be interesting to see how they approach it, as you say it will need to be up datable, i guess they might be able to reduce piracy, ie you cant just copy your mates card, but i wouldnt imagine they'll be able to stop it from happening.

Will be interesting to see how they approach it, as you say it will need to be up datable, i guess they might be able to reduce piracy, ie you cant just copy your mates card, but i wouldnt imagine they'll be able to stop it from happening.
yo be honest i got thinking about this, assuming you can still buy maps and put them on an SD card, then surely you would still be able to copy someone elses card and put it in the slot...?

perhaps this isn't an anti piracy move, but a cheap move, atm every TT comes with an SD card, this means that for every unit they dont have to pay £6 or whatever it costs them to get cards made, it's probibly not even that expencive but if you think large scale, that's alot of money they are saving...

Yea could be, they could also say that if the say provide a 256Mb today, by next month they'll be able to get 1Gb for the same price, so no point them holding 1000's of them in stock etc. As long as that saving is passed on to the consumer. As i'm guessing no one here actually owns any of theses models that dont come with them then were just speculating.

Personally i dont mind if they dont come with an SD card, i know where to get them cheap, but many people will think PC World is where to get them!

Obviously updates would be done via the web on legit machines as currently TT say it's good practice to backup the card type units to your pc once a month. Liam

I think you have hit the nail on the head there... probably work like Microsoft updates, where they check you have a legitimate copy of the operating system before letting you download anything! A mate asked to copy my memory card for his Original TTOne (I have TTOne Europe New Ver.) but wouldnt entertain it just in case of problems, not being too familiar with Sat Navs.

The only thing that worries me is that there is a 'new' new version out already, with kids and step kids etc., I dont have £200 to spend on gizmos very often and was hoping that the product life cycle is a little longer that your average mobile... where your handset is virtually obsolete every 6 months :(

well its not been confirmed you cannot update,just depends how they approach it

You definitely can update the maps on the One with built in flash memory. It still has a built in SD card slot. My dad has one and I have updated his.
What is more interesting(In my opinion). The Inbuilt memory and the SD reader CAN NOT be used at the same time. If you buy new maps from TomTom you will have buy a Sd card with enough room for your back up and the new maps.

You definitely can update the maps on the One with built in flash memory. It still has a built in SD card slot. My dad has one and I have updated his.
What is more interesting(In my opinion). The Inbuilt memory and the SD reader CAN NOT be used at the same time. If you buy new maps from TomTom you will have buy a Sd card with enough room for your back up and the new maps.

Which begs the question... Why?

Why did they stop sending out cards in the first place, i cant believe that it's saving them that much money... i mean bulk they can pick them up for a couple of pounds... if that...

lets say £1 for arguments sake.

and because i know rough figures i'm just going to use halfords (based on my stores sales)

so we just got sent though stock of 50... but realistically we sell 40 a month... perhaps more but i know that other stores sell much less. and some stores sell much more, so this is a good average.

so thats £40 a month.

which is £480 a year... times perhaps 400 stores is

£192,000 a year... which i guess is a decent profit...

but then (and i know this sounds trivial) how much would another moulding machine cost to mould the new packaging?

i dont know how much flash memory was in the older units as standard but i know that they need 256MB for the GB maps to work.

so perhaps each unit will have to be updated?

i would imagine though, once everything is taken in to consideration, for example transport of the cards from the factory, added weight of units for shipping, moulds, the cards themselves.... there isn't much profit at all.

or maybe i'm missing the big picture?

it just seems like a bit of a pointless endeavor.

Which begs the question... Why?

Why did they stop sending out cards in the first place...
or maybe i'm missing the big picture?

it just seems like a bit of a pointless endeavor.

Changing the mould to delete the SD card slot, assuming its injection moulded won't be that much of a cost consideration to TT.

Think the masterplan may be to stop folks whom buy second hand (and possible stolen) units and helping themselves to 'free up to date mapping with speed cameras on' which is what my mate would gain with his original one if I let him copy my SD card... :nono:

As for the SD cards, agree with the prices and variety available now (£8 for 1GB 50x Kingston off e-buyer with my new Pentax Camera), seems a bit mean to take the option away. Also with the TT1EU the Euro mapping with speed cameras, all but the US UK DE & Ozzie voices and a few downloaded custom colour schemes (UK one thats clearer in direct bright sunlight & Night407 which matches Stilo dash illumination) my SD Card 1GB is 98.somat % full :eek:

Back