sat nav forum

Currently reading:
sat nav forum

rick oshea

GRANDE GP CREW
What we need is a sat nav forum for example poi (points of intrest files) we can download on to our sat navs eg fiat dealers, speed cameras and low bridges for those of us who tow tin tents (caravans) i am currently working on a dealer poi for tom tom sat nav units and hope to have it ready soon in the meantime if any member wants help with sat nav issues really experienced on tom tom systems i have a small knowledge of others please pm me and i will try to help

I'm certainly no 'know it all' but I sure can help :)

Also Navman troubleshooting may as well be a work passtime of mine now as I seem to spend more time on the phone to them than I do serving customers or fitting stereos :p

If you could give us a run down of the popular makes, and which can get free upgrades etc, would be wonderful.
Thanks, Andy.:)

I'm certainly no 'know it all' but I sure can help :)

Also Navman troubleshooting may as well be a work passtime of mine now as I seem to spend more time on the phone to them than I do serving customers or fitting stereos :p

tell me about it.... although it's those damn pin570's most of the time...

dude i probibly saw you at those courses... what area are you at.

I've done the same courses, and if you need can fill in the blanks with Phone and Pda navigation, as this is what i use day to day.

i know what your all going to say, but the courses are independant
they are actually damn good, representatives from all the major brands give you the lowdown.

Are there serious probs with them? Am seriously looking at buying one, going to have a look this afternoon, if not it'd be a Acer N50 with GPS, and that'd cost nearly twice as much.

no they are wicked for £99.99 i mean it's a windows PDA with built in GPS. the only real problem with it, is the fact that it has a SIRF* 1 chip in it... we are now on SIRF*3 the older units (*1) have trouble picking up a signal in built up areas, and take much longer to initiate.

the only other problem is people who dont set them up correctly, e.g there is a small switch on the bottom of the unit that turns the battery on. By default it is set to off so we always get complains that "it's not holding a charge".

personally if i was looking for a sat nav, i'd buy it... then load tomtom software on it :D

tom tom currently offer free upgrades to software just keep checking for new versions on www.tomtom.com

Rick.
If i want to buy a sat nav, then is it easy to get for example free camera alert and maps? So i dont need to actually buy a Tom Tom to actually download Tom Tom software? So the Tom Tom One GB is ok?

Andy.:)

Rick.
If i want to buy a sat nav, then is it easy to get for example free camera alert and maps? So i dont need to actually buy a Tom Tom to actually download Tom Tom software? So the Tom Tom One GB is ok?

Sorry, whats the question?

You can get software of the internet, TOMTOM will charge you for the privalage... and as mentioned above ofr about £2 a month you can get safety camera updates.
or for free, you can download them from... erm..."external sources"

Sorry, whats the question?

You can get software of the internet, TOMTOM will charge you for the privalage... and as mentioned above ofr about £2 a month you can get safety camera updates.
or for free, you can download them from... erm..."external sources"

So can all Sat navs use Tom Tom software? I mean all non TomTom products?
Iam still confused about which one to buy.
If i buy a Tom Tom, which is the one to buy? Is Tom Tom One ok? And can i get all the software to download for cameras and maps etc etc...?

Andy.

So can all Sat navs use Tom Tom software?
No. Not non-PDA sat-navs anyway.
If i buy a Tom Tom, which is the one to buy? Is Tom Tom One ok? And can i get all the software to download for cameras and maps etc etc...?
TomTom One seems OK if you don't want the advanced features, like bluetooth. You then have the choice of whether you want the UK one or Europe one. That depends on whether you're going to drive in Europe or not!
H

I have a Tom Tom One UK, and mine has bluetooth.

I've found it to be very good in the time I've had it (only a few months). It's easy to update from the Tom Tom site, the blue tooth works perfectly with my Nokia N80, and the speed camera add on is brilliant. It won't warn you of hand helds like the Road Angel.

If you don't like the route it finds for you, you can get alternative route planning onscreen, travel via set locations or miss out some locations you don' want to travel through, add POI and so on, very easily.

For anyone who wants a very well priced sat nav that's easy to use, update and add to then I'd recommend the Tom Tom One UK, it's slimmer than the other Tom Toms, and some other sat nav systems, the suction pad actually stays on the windscreen, and the software you use is really simple, and at under £200 it's a bargain IMHO.

Tom Tom give you a choice of add ons which are so easy to download from their site, you just hook up your unit to the pc via a usb cable (supplied) and follow the onscreen instructions.

The maps are clear and the screen is easy to read and uncluttered like some sat nav screens I've seen.

Last edited:
Yea I noticed that on thte Tom Tom site.

Probably whoever did the chart forgot to tick the bluetooth box LOL

Yea I noticed that on thte Tom Tom site.

Probably whoever did the chart forgot to tick the bluetooth box LOL

the tomtom one GB Does have bluetooth, but NOT bluetiith handsfree, the one can only use it's bluetooth functionality to use the TT plus features.

This is why it is not ticked on the website, otherwise they will get thousands of people emailing them asking them why their website stated it had bluetooth and it didn't.(y)

Right then peeps, why dont we have a regular "best price" feature on here for Sat Navs? Who as seen the cheapest Tom Tom One GB price for example?

Have had read through and TomTom speed camera's were mentioned, just to let you know Tom Tom's speed camera's database is absolutely crap and doesn't cover half those in the country. Go to pocket GPS and use their database that is updated continually for £2 a month.

traffic jams,here!!....oh you mean the sheep in the road ;)

knowing where speed cameras are?...no need,I dont go over the limit ;)

Malaga!...why I wanna go there;)

p.s.why are sat nav systems allowed to be used but not mobile phones? (serious question)

Back