Technical Rustproofing of Fiat 500

Currently reading:
Technical Rustproofing of Fiat 500

Stregax

In Sweden where I live the well known auto magazine "Vi Bilägare" compare the rustproofing of different cars on a scale 1-5 where 5 is best. The Fiat 500 only gets a 2 like many japanese cars ( tested in december 2007). This means the rustproofing must me remade within a year of the manufacturing because of the total lack of rustproofing in the interior of girders and because of pockets where salt and dirt will get stuck.
How is the Fiat 500 rustproofing evaluated in the UK (or other parts of EU) and do any of you pay for additional rustproofing ?

I decided to attack my sister's 500 when it was new...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=236423

There is nothing in the UK motoring press about rust proofing which is surprising due to the amount of salt they dump on the roads during winter

There is a big ledge in the front wheel well that traps dirt...

Last edited:
Thank you for the thread ! Nice job you did there. In Sweden a professional rustproofing costs at least 400 € depending on size of car and what has to be disassembled. Yes, I have read about the pocket at the front wheel, this was mentioned here in Sweden. Anyway we have loved the car since we bought it last month and it affords to be taken good care of :)

Fiat used to have terrible problems with corrosion years ago and the reputation is still poor with some that remember the 1980s

There is no assessment for this done in UK

Fiat now has 7 year corrosion perforation guarrantee, subject to regular inspections

Fiat used to have terrible problems with corrosion years ago and the reputation is still poor with some that remember the 1980s

There is no assessment for this done in UK

Fiat now has 7 year corrosion perforation guarrantee, subject to regular inspections

7 years is nothing.

In this day & age, any car that can't survive 12 years of normal use without needing welding to pass an MOT deserves to be called a rustbucket.

Is FIAT's factory applied corrosion protection up to the task? Will the 500 hold up for this long?

Those who trust FIAT and feel confident have only got to wait. For the rest, there's always Dinitrol.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
It's not just Fiat. I tried to MOT a 7 year old Ford Ka, there were proper holes in the floor.

KA's have always been sheds in fairness though.

Most Fiat's off the last decade seem to be up to scratch though, providing they're not knocked about and badly repaired, although the mk2 Punto's seem to be hit and miss.

It's not just Fiat. I tried to MOT a 7 year old Ford Ka, there were proper holes in the floor.
Fords are crap in terms of corrosion, but for some whacky reason Fiat have the reputation and Ford don't. Next time anyone sees a Ka on the road, have a look around the hole for the wiper in the rear hatch and the fuel filler. Then take a note of the plate and next time you see a Fiat of the same age, see if it has rusted yet.....

It's worth also giving the subframes a coat of Waxoil (or similar) too. I've seen a lot of 500's only couple off yrs old with rusty seams on the subframes.

I under-sealed mine...
Used Waxoil 'stone chip' coating as it dries and is less sticky than under- seal ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1372078788.095278.jpg

The old Ka isn't galvanized, all Fiats are.

But an AA man told me that Fords still have the worst reputation for rusting, even the newer ones.

My ten year old Doblo was intact, with no bodywork rusting anywhere, but the brake pipes had had a warning on them for two years - the garage greased them to make them last a bit longer - and the various brackets underneath to which pipes, exhaust, etc. were attached were quite rusty, but not MOT fail rusty. I think the greasing got it through the last two years.

I'd say that after being used for ten years in all weathers and only cleaned by car wash that isn't too bad.

Back