Rounded Crankshaft

Currently reading:
Rounded Crankshaft

D

Dave

Bravo motor well and trully broken, the drissle bar under the head cover got blocked and stopped putting oil on the Crankshaft (or camshaft - never remember which - the one on top with the oval bits on it that operates the valves). Anyway 4 of 12 have now worn so that they are no longer oval but round!!! no compression and won't start. Luckily I have a spare so will change but ruined a days racing.

Can't work out how quickly it happened, it is a repalcement so don;t know the history. there was a tapping when it went in but not sure how quickly it would ware out, I have a feeling that it was pretty quick.

Anyway an interesting breakdown.

Guess it's the 1.4 12V, blockage of the oil spray bar is a common fault, hopefully you do just need a camshaft. The oil spray bar can be cleaned out with contact cleaner/carb cleaner.

sig20.jpg

Bingo on the 1.4 12v. Why new head anon? and how do I tell without taking the bugger orf?

Other spare head is knackered after dropping a valve head into the piston, will risk the crankshaft chank only. If that fails I may be looking for a 1.4 engine, so bare in mind if you have one sitting around.

cheers

Well you speak of no compression. That seems to me that it's valve damage so at the least the head will have to come off to either regrind or recut the seats. plus the fact that it seems the camshaft has been running dry so you probably got some damage to the camshaft seats as well.,Hydraulic lifters etc.

Now I'm depressed. I don't have a head or spare bits so going to try just changing the shaft. If that don't work I need a new engine

Wish you the best of luck buddy, Can you get to a scrappy for a head?

Last time I went only 1 bravo, 20v thing, too much work to swap for mine. oinly one for miles around, and i mean about 30 - 40 miles, scrappers in west wales few and far between.

Pulled off early!! Still looking, off to change the camshaft tonight. Next race cancelled so no rush now, only one left this year so hopefully will work and I can get one sensinble race meeting in, then all winter to get it right (and save the pennies for a replacement). it was noted that the car had "cost quite a bit this year"!!

Might try to get a photo of damage up when old one removed.