General Roofbars and rattles

Currently reading:
General Roofbars and rattles

For making home made exact size U bolts how about studing bent to the correct size and covered in braded petrol pipe?

Paul

I'm fitting my roofbox for the first time in a few weeks and wondered if anyone's aero bars have been damaged over the summer. I've also got some thule bars that just need the right feet to fit and would rather use these if their's a chance of damaging the aero's. The roofbox is the halfords 560 litre.
Shrek

I decided not to get a roofbox in the end, what with all the hassle!!!

Still managed to get all the luggage in the back, with the two rear seats folded onto one set of runners which meant I could go back to a normal 7-seater once away. This included a kids trike as well, plus toys, plus all the other luggage for a week away - well impressed with boot space :)

Glad you managed to get it all sorted with some DIY bits, although I still amazed - FIAT said the only solution was to remove the aerobars and fit their THULE bars - crazy!

Next time I am passing a Peugeot/Citroen dealer, I may pop in and ask them!

We seemed to manage with the two kids and the seats to Eire and to Skeggy without a box. May spend the money on a CD-Changer for the Stilo instead :)

I had a similar laugh with taking my Scouts to Holland earlierthis year...

I know my Evolution whatever fits and so do my bike racks so I went and bought a Thule Explorer (?) roof rack - thereby avoiding paying for a trailer by taking tons on teh roof rack through the good old Chunnel....

On teh Old Ulysse (previously had a late Mk1) you could slot in the Thule Aero bar mounts into the roof rack cross bar - as you could remove the end.

Bought the Aero bar adapter kit - couldnt fit it in new roof bars :-((

At the till the Aero bars (now called T-Channel or such) were too pricey so I followed Mr Thules advice on teh www and went for the cheapie standard black bars - nearly half the price.

Fitted roof bars in channel (after removing and replacing end stop - hoping the roof doesnt start leaking again !!) only to find that the rack cant sit on these bars because it needs to be bolted through under the bars and there are nice solid black steel supports in the way !!! oops.

Did I say I discovered this about 8 hours before we left ???

We went with it mounted offset - perilously close to the end of the bar on one side !

Phone Mr Thule when I got back and fair cop - they coughed up for a pair of FREE aero bars. Good show Thule customer service.

Poor show on Fiatthough for not building in the Aero bars (mint or otherwise)... bit of a backward step chaps.

I have left the Thule mounting blocks in the roof channel - havent noticed any rattles though.

Coming off the M1 onto the M25 last week about 50 mph in the pouring rain a car swerved across our path and hit his brakes to avoid a car in front. I braked hard and the abs cut in and stopped us with literally a few feet to spare. A large bang was felt and heard from above. As we continued a rattle could be heard from the roofbox. At the next services we stopped and checked it to find some play in the rear bar. It looked secure so we lived with the rattle. After removing the box today though we found the o/s roofbar bar has partially fractured as it meets the roof. We had checked the weight of the load which was distributed evenly in two suitcases and a large bag. I'll put my trust back in Mr Thule from now on!!

A few miles down the road just before the Dartford tunnel the connect system froze leaving us without sat nav, cd and radio.

Then the n/s sliding door also refused to close on slightly uneven ground leaving us driving to a flat area in the rain to close the door.

Fuel economy averaged 29 mpg over 800 miles mainly motorway at 70 mph with six of us, my electric mobility scooter in the rear and the luggage.

Last edited:
Thanks lou
Sounds identical to what I experienced as I had to reset it by turning the ignition off for several minutes. No experiences with monkeys I'm afraid so it must be a Fiat fault!
Shrek

Shrek,

I don't know if you were actually using satnav at the time but if next time you get it and you are using navigation try ejecting the cd. It will save you pulling over and turning the ignition off.

Lou

Lou
I was using the satnav at the time. Thanks for the advice.

Stu
I'm using the spring/ summer 2002 navtech disc. I've read somewhere they aren't doing free upgrades any more. Is this correct?

Thanks
Shrek

Back