Styling Roof rails.

Currently reading:
Styling Roof rails.

I don't suspect the OP plans on carrying loads of weight around on the roof of his 100hp, I don't suppose their weight carrying capacity is really the main issue anyway. I do suspect he wants them fitted for aesthetic reasons, and as you will never get them 100% right, the OP will always look at the damage rail and see any imperfections as he will always know it's there and what he is looking at
I would not fit roof rails just for looks. They could be useful if we wanted to take a windsurfing board or surf/paddle board to the beach or to transport any other item too long to fit inside the car, or possibly to fit a bike carrier to take a bicycle out in to the new forest. Weight carrying capacity is not a concern. With a windsurfing board strapped on to roof bars there is likely to be a force applied in an upward direction to a board on the roof due to wind passing over the bonnet and up the windscreen when driving. The 50kg load weight specification seems a bit irrelevant in a real world as I do not think it takes any account of wind forces on any objects attached. The four bolts that hold the rails to the roof are probably the weakest point and even a bent rail could be stronger than the fixing points.

If I tried to straighten a bent rail without the bolt points fixed in position, and caused the plate where the bolt holds the rail to the car to go slightly out of line, I would place stress on the bolt point when fixing the rail to the car and also possibly cause a dent in the painted surface of the car roof.

This has raised a lot more discussion than I was expecting, and there are a lot more variables than I had first though about. I am almost tempted to offer the breaker £5 for the bent rail as an experiment just to see how easy or difficult it is to bend straight. I have already decided to look elsewhere for a pair of rails and will not use the bent rail from the scrap car.

If I tried to straighten a bent rail without the bolt points fixed in position, and caused the plate where the bolt holds the rail to the car to go slightly out of line, I would place stress on the bolt point when fixing the rail to the car and also possibly cause a dent in the painted surface of the car roof.
Thanks for coming back and clarifying. all your points are the exact points myself and @jrkitching were trying to make, you'll never get it 100%

The last thing you want us a damaged out of shape roof rail causing damage to the roof of your car.

What is a reasonable price for a second hand pair of roof rails with fittings? I have phoned a few breakers and prices varied by more than £100.

What is a reasonable price for a second hand pair of roof rails with fittings? I have phoned a few breakers and prices varied by more than £100.

£220 upwards new, half price second hand good condition is what I normaly work on

There are rare, less so now some of eco seem to have them as standard

Still need the cross rail/bars on top about another £100 new

I still wouldn't have a problem straightening the ones you found, would have to be very cheap and as long as there's no kinks in it, the front and back is where you have to clamp the cross bars to these have not will not be moved or weakend, the metal is soft and malible on mine, as tested today (2010 vintage)

It's not for everybody, I have tie down straps wood, press and so on

You could post it to me to do free of charge

The cross bars are around £100 new and the surf boards would go straight on. Probably find them for less they were £55 last time I looked about 5 years ago

I found some locally listed on an online selling site. 1/2 hour drive to collect. Complete with the bolts washers and rubber gaskets. I’ve collected them but won’t get chance to fit until next weekend.

We have a couple of sets of Thule rapid fit roof bars from other cars that may be the correct length and I will need to do some research to check what fitting kit is needed.
We had a Vauxhall vectra estate and a Volvo V70 with roof rails that both used the same kit but the panda rails look a bit wider so we may need something different.

The roof rails are now fitted. It was a quick and easy job. We already had some thule roof bars in the garage that fit very well on to the panda roof rails.

Attachments

• IMG_7080.jpg
    IMG_7080.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7079.jpg
    IMG_7079.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 28
This happens even when it's not bent beyond its elastic limit, which is why aircraft structures have a fatigue life and mandatory periodic inspections.
On aircraft, once it's bent beyond this (as the one in the picture has), the part must be scrapped.
We or should I say yourselves are talking about roof rail / bars on a Fiat Panda not a Jumbo jet.

At the end of the day or the topic who knows, I agree with Koalar on this one. The roof bars whether new, or second hand ones with deformaties that have been rectified will bear there design weight. It's all down to weight distribution. And I don't think anyone in there right mind would drive at 60 mph with a load on top unless it was a specifically designed pod for the vehicle which again would compatable to the particular vehicle.

An OEM roof rail with kinked tube looks rubbish but it's not about to fly off the car. An OEM roof rail with a broken end casting is not safe to use.

The 100kg weight limit is what Fiat deem is safe for the car. The rails and roof are more than capable of taking the physical weight. A Panda carrying the weight will be seriously wobbly to drive.

Back