Technical Rocker cover type

Currently reading:
Technical Rocker cover type

8vnotv8

Hi, I have a 2004 Fiat Panda, with a 1.2 liter, 60HP petrol engine. The rocker cover (the older type with a square push/pull oil filler cap) has a crack on it so I would like to replace it. I went to the local car breaker and found a Punto with a similar 1.2 liter engine, however, when checking the details, I realized that after removing the oil filler cap, the plate inside the rocker cover has a slightly different shape that the one on my Panda. Do you know why is the plate different if the engine is more or less the same and if the Punto's rocker cover can be fitted onto the Panda engine. Also, what is the role of that plate? Many thanks!

Theres two types of engine with the square oil filler

The design was updated from engine number 2533528 I don't know the exact date

It's likely at 2004 you have an early one
I don't know exactly what all the differences are or if the cam cover are the same

The plate inside function changes with year. As far as I remember early square ones only have a baffle plate in the top to seperate the oil out so it does not enter the inlet manifold via the breather hose

I can not be 100% sure but suspect the punto will be different.They normally have have a seperate oil seperator on the right of the engine, but there may be a some crossover period .

The casting number of the cover is on the inside, are they the same? It might be possible to convert if the numbers are the same

Last edited:
Interesting thread, but in all my years of working on cars I've never known a rocker to crack or break. Unless I'm missing something. I've had a long day.:confused:
Presumably not seen a multi jet with failed cam chain. But that's another thread. ;-)

Back