General Road tax

Currently reading:
General Road tax

Davefridge

Established member
Just taxed my B. 295 quid for a year! What a rip off given the state of the roads. And petrol at 205 a litre. Are they trying to force the classic car off the road or what?

There will have to be a firm proposition to government to provide special allowances for all Classic and Vintage vehicles. My approach might help you a little. I pay my insurance monthly and my firm provides an option to move, at reduced monthly payment to a status of "Laid Up". I normally put my B onto a SORN for winter months and again pay the tax monthly to reduce the impact on personal cashflow. Sadly MOTs are a single payment demand.

Feel your pain. Our 34 year old Fiat does not yet qualify for exemption yet on some years it has done less than 50 miles!

Road Tax & MOT Exemption

Note! this is a rolling 40 year old qualification time.

Question is for me is will I still be alive or able to drive before they move the exemption.
My B is 25 and I'm 64. I'll be 79 by the time she qualifies for free tax. By then I won't be able to get in or out of her and there won't be any petrol available! Lol

There will have to be a firm proposition to government to provide special allowances for all Classic and Vintage vehicles. My approach might help you a little. I pay my insurance monthly and my firm provides an option to move, at reduced monthly payment to a status of "Laid Up". I normally put my B onto a SORN for winter months and again pay the tax monthly to reduce the impact on personal cashflow. Sadly MOTs are a single payment demand.
The insurance is the cheap bit. I did mine though the Meercats. Went with a brokers called Grove and Dean for £93.50 includes basic breakdown as well. What's your ins co. and how much do you pay?

In France they would call this a luxury tax: we can afford it, so we pay it. In NL I pay full road tax and insurance for my b. Plus an extra tax because it's a second car. So I guess I can afford it ;)
An interesting alternative is the Renault Clio 1.0 l with the 6 speed manual. Wow! I'd like to have that in the b ;)

Back